Saint Louis shuts down No. 20 New MexicoJan 1, 2013 - 3:13 AM St. Louis, MO (Sports Network) - Cory Remekun netted a team-high 15 points on 7-of-9 shooting as Saint Louis knocked off No. 20 New Mexico, 60-46, on Monday at Chaifetz Arena.
Cody Ellis drained three 3-pointers off the bench and finished with 13 points, while Mike McCall Jr. netted 12 points for the Billikens (10-3), who have won seven games in a row since a loss to Washington back in November. Dwayne Evans pulled down eight rebounds to go with four points in the triumph.
Kendall Williams scored 15 points and Alex Kirk added 13 points and eight boards for the Lobos (13-2), who have lost two of three after a 12-0 start.
New Mexico shot just 31.8 percent from the floor and turned the ball over 21 times in defeat.
The teams traded 3-pointers early on, but Saint Louis then ripped off a 9-0 run to take a 12-3 lead with 14:25 left in the first half, forcing the Lobos to call a timeout.
After the stoppage, Williams made consecutive buckets for New Mexico to pull the visitors within 12-7 with just over 13 minutes to play in the opening half. But the rest of the first period belonged to Saint Louis, which allowed only six points over the duration of the half and went into the locker room with a comfortable 33-13 margin.
New Mexico opened the second half with a 10-2 run, capped by a three-point play by Kirk to cut the deficit to 12, but Ellis answered with a trey for Saint Louis to widen the lead back to 38-23 with 15:51 to play.
A layup by Williams a little over three minutes later cut the Lobos' deficit to 38-29 with 13:21 to go. The Billikens then reeled off a 14-3 outburst, however, to take a 52-32 lead with 9:13 on the clock.
Saint Louis had a stretch of more than three minutes without a field goal during the latter stages of the game, but the Lobos could not get closer than 12 points down the rest of the way.
The all-time series between the sides is now knotted at 3-3 ... New Mexico coach Steve Alford was ejected from the game in the second half after receiving a double-technical foul ... Saint Louis forward Rob Loe fouled out in the second half with seven points ... Saint Louis shot 40.4 percent from the field.
- NEW MEXICO: 46
ST. LOUIS: 60
Dec 31 9:33 PM
- NEW MEXICO: 13
ST. LOUIS: 33
Dec 31 8:20 PM
- NEW MEXICO: 0
ST. LOUIS: 0
1st Half - 20:00
Dec 31 7:36 PM
- Correction: New Mexico-San Jose St story Jan 25
- UNM investigating purchasing activity on staffer's card Dec 22
- Lobos forward's career over because of spinal condition Nov 19
- Graham leads VCU's rout of Saint Louis Feb 18
- Saint Louis comes calling on No. 25 VCU Feb 17
- No. 16 VCU holds off Saint Louis with last-second shot Jan 23
- Billikens battle 16th-ranked Rams in A-10 action Jan 23
- New Mexico knocks off unbeaten CSU Jan 4
- Rams and Lobos mix it up in Mountain West melee Jan 3
- Wichita State routs Saint Louis Dec 7
- Eighth-ranked Shockers set sights on Billikens Dec 6
- New Mexico's Neal to receive two-year extension Mar 31