Jett helps Saint Louis down No. 24 VCUFeb 20, 2013 - 5:06 AM St. Louis, MO (Sports Network) - Jordair Jett scored all 16 of his points in the second half and Saint Louis was nearly flawless in taking down 24th- ranked Virginia Commonwealth, 76-62, in Tuesday's clash between the top two teams in the Atlantic 10 conference.
Mike McCall Jr. added 15 points and Dwayne Evans tallied 14 points on 5-of-6 shooting with eight rebounds as the Billikens (20-5, 9-2 A-10) took sole possession of first place with their eighth straight victory.
Saint Louis shot a strong 55.3 percent while giving the ball away just nine times against the nation's top team in forced turnovers.
VCU (21-6, 9-3 A-10) was unable to keep up with Saint Louis' scoring pace and saw its five-game winning streak come to an end. Juvonte Reddic posted his sixth double-double in eight games, tallying 19 points with 12 boards in the setback.
The Billikens came out strong, took control of the contest early and never looked back. They got things started by making four 3-pointers during a 17-0 surge and built a 28-8 advantage just under 13 minutes in.
The usually efficient Rams were anything but in the first half, converting only 8-of-29 shots from the field and found themselves in a 38-21 hole at the break.
VCU began the second stanza by making its first five shots -- including back- to-back triples from Troy Daniels and Treveon Graham to reduce the deficit to 45-34, but Jett put any hopes the Rams had to bed fairly quickly.
By scoring 12 straight points, the junior single-handedly put the game out of reach by building the Billikens' edge back up to 19, with his three-point play and 3-pointer highlighting his personal surge.
VCU went nearly eight minutes with just one single basket as it soon faced a 26-point deficit. They never came any closer than the final margin the rest of the way.
Cody Ellis scored 10 points for Saint Louis off the bench, which outscored VCU's by a 34-14 count ... The Rams never led in the contest and lost just their second road game of the season ... The Billikens improved to 3-1 against ranked opponents this season.
- VCU: 62
ST. LOUIS: 76
Feb 19 11:15 PM
- VCU: 21
ST. LOUIS: 38
Feb 19 10:05 PM
- VCU: 0
ST. LOUIS: 0
1st Half - 20:00
Feb 19 9:17 PM
- Things looking more normal for Wade in Year 2 at VCU May 13
- VCU announces sophomore F Michael Gilmore is transferring May 3
- VCU restructures, extends contract of men's hoops coach Wade Mar 29
- Oklahoma faces another dangerous double-digit seed in VCU Mar 19
- Payton II following in father's NCAA footsteps at Oregon St Mar 17
- VCU hoping to find winning formula again in NCAA Tournament Mar 16
- VCU seeking another shot at A10 Tournament championship Mar 9
- JeQuan Lewis' growth at PG a key to VCU's winning streak Feb 5
- VCU coach Will Wade says surging Rams can't get complacent Jan 21
- Broken finger likely to sideline VCU's Burgess 'a few weeks' Jan 11
- Wade to begin VCU's post-Shaka era with modified 'Havoc' Nov 10
- Wade leaves Chattanooga to return to VCU Apr 7