Xavier downs No. 16 Saint Louis in overtimeMar 7, 2013 - 5:18 AM Cincinnati, OH (Sports Network) - Semaj Christon scored 20 points and Travis Taylor came up big with 19 points and a career-high 19 rebounds, as Xavier upended No. 16 Saint Louis, 77-66, in overtime Wednesday night in a tense Atlantic 10 battle.
The Billikens entered the night on an 11-game winning streak with hopes of gaining at least a share of the A-10 regular season title, something they haven't done in conference play since 1970-71, when Saint Louis tied for first in the Missouri Valley Conference.
Instead, the Billikens (23-6, 12-3 A-10) find themselves tied with Virginia Commonwealth atop the conference standings. Saint Louis hosts La Salle on Saturday to close the regular season.
Brad Redford scored 11 for the Musketeers (17-12, 9-6), who bounced back after a Saturday loss to Massachusetts.
Kwamain Mitchell had 17 points, Dwayne Evans 16 and Mike McCall Jr. 14 in defeat.
Jordair Jett's fastbreak layup extended SLU's lead to 24-17 with nearly three minutes left in the half, but the Billikens were blanked the rest of the period. Redford's 3-pointer had the only bucket to bring the hosts within four at the break.
Xavier took charge early in the second half and went ahead by eight points, the last time at 39-31 on Erik Stenger's layup with 11:12 remaining. The Musketeers were up seven with under five minutes left in regulation, but couldn't hold the advantage as Jett's tip-in with about 12 seconds to go tied the game at 59.
A jumper by Xavier's Dee Davis was off the mark in the waning seconds.
Jeff Robinson's layup with nearly 3 1/2 minutes left in OT gave Xavier the lead for good at 63-61, and the hosts feasted at the free throw line in the extra session by making 14-of-16 attempts.
Saint Louis shot 30.1 percent from the field ... VCU ends its season on Sunday by playing Temple on the road ... Saint Louis' Cody Ellis missed all 15 of his field goal attempts, including 11 from 3-point range ... Jett had 10 points and seven boards ... SLU's last outright regular-season conference title was in 1956-57 in the Missouri Valley Conference.
- ST. LOUIS: 66
Final - OT
Mar 6 11:34 PM
- ST. LOUIS: 59
End of Regulation
Mar 6 11:10 PM
- ST. LOUIS: 24
Mar 6 9:53 PM
- ST. LOUIS: 0
1st Half - 20:00
Mar 6 9:08 PM
- No NBA: Trevon Bluiett staying at Xavier for junior season May 23
- Xavier gives coach Chris Mack an additional year on contract Apr 14
- Badgers, Musketeers preparing for physical NCAA clash Mar 19
- Xavier pulls away from Weber State late for 71-53 win Mar 18
- Xavier opens tourney vs Weber St, hoping for deep run Mar 17
- No. 5 Xavier looking to fix defense at Big East tournament Mar 7
- No. 5 Xavier in running for high NCAA tournament seed Feb 25
- Big East's top 2 teams set for high-stakes rematch at Xavier Feb 23
- Xavier's Sumner 'walking, talking' after hard fall at game Dec 31
- Xavier's Chris Mack gets 1-year extension Apr 1
- Arizona pulls away from Xavier to set up Elite Eight rematch Mar 27
- Arizona and Xavier collide in Sweet 16 Mar 26