Curry carries No. 2 Duke in rout of TempleDec 9, 2012 - 12:46 AM
Seth Curry led a balanced Blue Devils attack with 23 points and No. 2 Duke routed Temple, 90-67, in a battle of unbeatens.
"Curry was great today," Temple head coach Fran Dunphy said. "He stepped up and did what he had to do. When we were just sniffing to get back in it, he hit some tough shots."
Mason Plumlee tallied 16 points and 14 rebounds, Ryan Kelly chipped in 14 points and 10 boards, and Quinn Cook added 14 points for Duke (9-0), which is off until Dec. 19 when it welcomes Cornell to Cameron Indoor Stadium.
"We're a beatable team. We just haven't been beat yet," Duke head coach Mike Krzyzewski. "With our conference we'll be tested a lot."
Temple's leading scorer, Khalif Wyatt, was limited to just six points on 3- of-15 shooting for the Owls (6-1), who halted a nine-game losing streak in the series last season with a 78-73 triumph.
The Owls didn't attempt their first free throw until Jake O'Brien completed a three-point play with 8:49 to play in the contest.
Plumlee split a pair from the foul line and gave Duke a 22-12 lead with 10:30 to go in the opening half.
The Blue Devils led by double digits the rest of the way.
A Curry 3-pointer capped a 16-4 run, which made it 29-14 before Duke entered the break with a 46-32 edge.
Will Cummings' layup cut the deficit to 49-39 early in the second stanza, but the Blue Devils countered with a 12-2 spurt to increase the bulge to 61-41.
The margin swelled as high as 26 down the stretch.
Duke shot 47.5 percent (28-of-59) from the floor, while Temple finished 39.7 percent (29-of-73) from the field ... Quenton DeCosey had 13 points to lead the Owls.
- TEMPLE: 67
Dec 8 5:13 PM
- TEMPLE: 32
Dec 8 4:09 PM
- TEMPLE: 0
1st Half - 20:00
Dec 8 3:24 PM
- Krzyzewski has hernia surgery, expects to be healthy for Rio May 9
- Duke's Grayson Allen has hernia surgery Apr 22
- Duke's Jefferson receives medical hardship waiver Apr 22
- Duke freshman guard Derryck Thornton to transfer Apr 10
- Grayson Allen to return to Duke for junior season Apr 6
- Duke's Brandon Ingram declares for NBA Draft after 1 season Apr 4
- Duke: Coach K recovering from knee replacement surgery Apr 3
- Duke ends with longer-than-expected NCAA run, short bench Mar 25
- Duke's title defense ends with 82-68 loss to Oregon Mar 25
- Oregon takes the national stage against defending champ Duke Mar 23
- Defending champ Duke, upstart Yale ready for 2nd round clash Mar 18
- Iowa looking to turn things around against Temple Mar 17