Lyons and Arizona get by ClemsonDec 9, 2012 - 6:22 AM Clemson, SC (Sports Network) - Mark Lyons scored a game-high 20 points to help No. 8 Arizona hold off a second-half push by Clemson and post a 66-54 victory at Littlejohn Coliseum.
Nick Johnson followed with 13 points, five rebounds and five steals, while Solomon Hill finished with seven points and 10 rebounds for the Wildcats (7-0), who are off to their best start to a season under coach Sean Miller.
"It was a very good win for our team," said Miller. "They'll be as physical and tough to score on, I believe, as any team we'll play all season long."
Milton Jennings paced the Tigers (5-3) with 15 points, K.J. McDaniels added 13 and Adonis Filer finished with 10 in Clemson's second loss in three games.
Arizona entered the second half holding a 28-24 lead, but after a Hill jumper put the Wildcats on top, 33-36, Clemson reeled off a 7-0 run to take its first lead of the game at 42-36.
The Wildcats answered by knotting the game at 44 before Jennings drilled a 3- pointer to give Clemson back the lead.
But the Tigers would not make another shot from the floor over the next seven- plus minutes and Arizona took advantage of the drought with a 20-2 run to take a decisive 64-49 lead.
Jennings was able to halt the skid with a trey with about a minute left, but it was too late as the game was all but decided.
"We're certainly disappointed with the outcome after we fought so hard to get a lead in the middle of the second half," Clemson coach Brad Brownell said. "I thought our guys played pretty hard."
The teams traded baskets over the first five-plus minutes until Lyons' triple sparked a 17-4 run to give the Wildcats a 22-8 lead with just under nine minutes left in the first half.
The Tigers, however, would no go quietly, battling back to get back within 26-24 before Brandon Ashley connected on a pair of free throws to give Arizona a four-point edge at the break.
Lyons' 20 points was a season high ... Arizona shot just 35.5 percent from the floor, while Clemson shot 38.5 percent in the game ... The Wildcats held a 44-33 advantage on the glass and a 32-28 edge in points in the paint.
- ARIZONA: 66
Dec 8 10:09 PM
- ARIZONA: 28
Dec 8 8:56 PM
- ARIZONA: 0
1st Half - 20:00
Dec 8 8:08 PM
- Pitts transferring from Arizona May 17
- Arizona guard Allonzo Trier returning for sophomore season Apr 4
- Arizona's Justin Simon transferring after 1 season Mar 28
- Arizona falters against Wichita State, loses 65-55 Mar 18
- Wichita State ready to keep rolling, faces Arizona Mar 16
- Clemson leading scorer Jaron Blossomgame files for NBA draft Mar 16
- Arizona coach Sean Miller fed up with court storming Feb 25
- Trier misses 3 at buzzer, No. 9 Arizona falls to Colorado Feb 25
- Arizona's Miller rips into team after loss to No. 23 Oregon Jan 29
- Freshman Trier to miss up to 6 weeks for No. 7 Arizona Jan 10
- Clemson picks up Texas A&M transfer in Elijah Thomas Jan 7
- Arizona's Trier coming on strong after talk from Miller Dec 12