Kadji, Canes edge Clemson for much-need victoryMar 10, 2013 - 6:46 AM Coral Gables, FL (Sports Network) - Kenny Kadji had 23 points and 12 rebounds in No. 6 Miami-Florida's 62-49 win over Clemson to lock up the ACC regular season title outright.
Shane Larkin finished with 11 points and Trey McKinney Jones added 10 points for the Hurricanes (24-6, 15-3 ACC), who had dropped three of their last four conference games after a 14-0 start in league play.
Miami has the No. 1 seed locked up for next week's ACC Tournament. It's the second league title in school history. The Hurricanes shared the 2000 Big East crown.
"That's not the last net I plan on cutting down," Jones said. "The sky's the limit for us. If we play together, we have so many weapons."
Jordan Roper netted 12 points for Clemson (13-17, 5-13), which dropped its last six tilts and 9-of-10 to close out the regular season.
A K.J. McDaniels layup pulled the Tigers within 29-27 five minutes into the second half, but the Hurricanes countered with a 9-1 spurt to build their first double-digit lead of the contest.
Kadji hit a jumper and 3-pointer around Milton Jennings splitting a pair from the foul line. Durand Scott then converted a layup and capped the flurry with two free throws for a 38-28 Miami margin.
After Devin Booker converted back-to-back layups, Larkin nailed consecutive triples, sandwiched around a Bernard Sullivan jumper, to push the advantage back to 44-34 with 7:51 to go.
Clemson never got within eight the rest of the way.
"We just didn't do enough good things to win," Clemson coach Brad Brownell admitted. "In the second half offensively we struggled a little bit."
The tilt was knotted at 25-25 following a back-and-forth first half.
The Hurricanes shot 42.2 percent (19-of-45) from the floor, while Clemson finished just 23.1 percent (3-of-13) from beyond the arc ... Booker tallied 11 points.
- CLEMSON: 49
Mar 9 4:28 PM
- CLEMSON: 25
Mar 9 3:17 PM
- CLEMSON: 0
1st Half - 20:00
Mar 9 2:35 PM
- Australian Vasiljevic signs to play basketball for Miami Apr 13
- Miami Hurricanes sophomore James Palmer decides to transfer Mar 28
- Miami falls to 0-3 in Sweet 16, routed 92-69 by Villanova Mar 25
- Friendship will take a backseat in Villanova-Miami matchup Mar 23
- Miami plays Villanova with chance at 1st Elite 8 berth Mar 21
- Wichita State Shockers face Miami, ready to keep on shocking Mar 18
- Fast-paced game expected in Miami, Buffalo matchup Mar 16
- Clemson leading scorer Jaron Blossomgame files for NBA draft Mar 16
- Larranaga hopes Miami can recapture George Mason's magic Mar 8
- Larranaga optimistic No. 7 Hurricanes will finish strong Feb 29
- Miami's Newton suspended 3 games for violating team rules Feb 27
- No. 11 Hurricanes to face 4 ranked teams in 12 days Feb 18