Plumlee, Duke down Florida Gulf CoastNov 19, 2012 - 4:33 AM Durham, NC (Sports Network) - Mason Plumlee had a career-high 28 points, Rasheed Sulaimon scored 19 and the ninth-ranked Duke Blue Devils posted an 88-67 victory over Florida Gulf Coast in the Battle 4 Atlantis.
Ryan Kelly contributed 14 points for Duke (3-0) and matched Plumlee with nine rebounds.
The Blue Devils set a school record by notching their 96th consecutive home win over a non-conference opponent.
Bernard Thompson totaled 24 points, six boards and five steals for the Eagles (2-2), who led for a large portion of the first half. Filip Cvjeticanin drained a 3-pointer to put Florida Gulf Coast up 30-29 with just under six minutes remaining.
It proved to be the last Eagles' basket until Thompson knocked down a trey two minutes into the second half.
Duke went on an epic 30-0 run to seize control. Up 52-30 at the break, the Blue Devils scored the first seven points of second half.
"Our defense was really good there in that time," said Duke coach Mike Krzyzewski.
Kelly sank a 3-pointer, Sulaimon hit a jumper and Plumlee made two free throws before Thompson snapped the visitor's lengthy drought.
"I've never heard of a 30 to nothing run before. First one I've been a part of," said Eagles coach Andy Enfield. "But the good news is, other than that, we played pretty well. I'm proud of our guys. We outscored them in the second half by one."
The Blue Devils haven't lost a game against a non-ACC opponent at Cameron Indoor Stadium since Feb. 26, 2000. They surpassed their previous mark of 95 straight non-conference home wins, set from Feb. 2, 1983-Dec. 2, 1995 ... The Blue Devils have won 20 consecutive regular-season tournament games. They'll continue this event in the Bahamas on Thursday against Minnesota ... Duke has won 10 in a row against current Atlantic Sun squads.
- FLA GULF COAST: 67
Nov 18 10:03 PM
- FLA GULF COAST: 30
Nov 18 8:58 PM
- FLA GULF COAST: 0
1st Half - 20:00
Nov 18 8:08 PM
- Krzyzewski has hernia surgery, expects to be healthy for Rio May 9
- FGCU hoops coach Dooley gets 2-year extension through 2020 May 7
- Duke's Grayson Allen has hernia surgery Apr 22
- Duke's Jefferson receives medical hardship waiver Apr 22
- Duke freshman guard Derryck Thornton to transfer Apr 10
- Grayson Allen to return to Duke for junior season Apr 6
- Duke's Brandon Ingram declares for NBA Draft after 1 season Apr 4
- Duke: Coach K recovering from knee replacement surgery Apr 3
- Duke ends with longer-than-expected NCAA run, short bench Mar 25
- Duke's title defense ends with 82-68 loss to Oregon Mar 25
- Oregon takes the national stage against defending champ Duke Mar 23
- Defending champ Duke, upstart Yale ready for 2nd round clash Mar 18