Top-ranked Duke shuts down DavidsonJan 3, 2013 - 7:17 AM
Quinn Cook added 15 points and early-season All-American candidate Mason Plumlee contributed 10 points and seven rebounds for Duke (13-0), which used a suffocating defense to remain unbeaten on the season.
"For our guys to go 13-0 with our nonconference schedule is just magnificent," Duke coach Mike Krzyzewski said. "It's terrific."
Jake Cohen led Davidson (7-6) with 19 points and eight rebounds, while De'Mon Brooks posted eight points and 12 rebounds in defeat. The Wildcats missed their first five shots of the second half along with three turnovers as part of a season-low point total.
The Wildcats didn't shot particularly well in the opening half, but they controlled the pace and locked down the Blue Devils defensively. Chris Czerapowicz's 3-pointer gave Davidson a 14-11 lead nearly eight minutes in, but Duke regained its footing and claimed a 29-24 lead after Kelly's trey with just under three minutes to go.
The Blue Devils didn't score for the remainder of the half, and Davidson knotted the contest on Brooks' layup with just under one minute remaining.
Davidson couldn't find its shooting stroke in the early stages of the second half, as it took the Wildcats just over six minutes to find the bottom of the basket on Czerapowicz's jumper. In the meantime, Duke scored the half's first 12 points and even Czerapowicz's bucket left the Blue Devils with a double- digit edge, 41-31.
"We had nine empty possessions in a six-minute period," Davidson head coach Bob McKillop said. "That's when they made their run and that's why they're No. 1."
The margin grew to 15 points at 48-33 on Tyler Thornton's 3-pointer, but the veteran Wildcats didn't wilt, making four straight shots after the barren start to close within 50-42 on Cohen's long-range bucket.
Davidson didn't get enough defensive stops down the stretch and never got closer than 10 down the stretch.
Duke leads the lengthy series, 89-17. This is the most played non-conference rivalry in Duke history ... Duke has reeled off 24 straight wins over the Wildcats ... The Blue Devils were outrebounded, 34-33, but held Davidson to 30 percent shooting ... Duke started 13-0 for the eighth time in school history.
- DUKE: 67
Jan 2 9:01 PM
- DUKE: 29
Jan 2 7:51 PM
- DUKE: 0
1st Half - 20:00
Jan 2 7:03 PM
- Krzyzewski has hernia surgery, expects to be healthy for Rio May 9
- Duke's Grayson Allen has hernia surgery Apr 22
- Duke's Jefferson receives medical hardship waiver Apr 22
- Duke freshman guard Derryck Thornton to transfer Apr 10
- Grayson Allen to return to Duke for junior season Apr 6
- Duke's Brandon Ingram declares for NBA Draft after 1 season Apr 4
- Duke: Coach K recovering from knee replacement surgery Apr 3
- Duke ends with longer-than-expected NCAA run, short bench Mar 25
- Duke's title defense ends with 82-68 loss to Oregon Mar 25
- Oregon takes the national stage against defending champ Duke Mar 23
- Defending champ Duke, upstart Yale ready for 2nd round clash Mar 18
- It's David vs. Goliath when UNC Wilmington meets Duke Mar 17