Duke opens ACC play with rout of Wake ForestJan 5, 2013 - 8:48 PM
Mason Plumlee followed with 13 points and 12 rebounds, while Rasheed Sulaimon contributed 12 points and Quinn Cook dished out 14 assists for the Blue Devils (14-0, 1-0 ACC), who opened a season with 14 straight wins for the sixth time under coach Mike Krzyzewski.
Travis McKie had 22 points and 11 rebounds to pace Wake Forest (7-6, 0-1), which saw its three-game win come to an end.
C.J. Harris finished with 19 points and four assists in the loss.
"It's a great benchmark for our guys to understand what a number one ranked team does," Wake Forest coach Jeff Bzdelik said. "Playing on the road, especially here in Cameron, these kinds of things are learning experiences that you can grow from."
Duke opened the game on fire from three-point range, connecting on seven of its first eight shots from beyond the arc while going 0-for-8 from inside over that span.
After Chase Fischer connected on a trey to give the Demon Deacons a 14-13 edge with 13 1/2 minutes left in the first half, Kelly drained back-to-back 3- pointers before Tyler Thornton added one of his own to put Duke ahead for good, 22-14.
Plumlee later made the Blue Devils' first shot from inside by throwing down an alley-oop dunk with just over nine minutes remaining in the period, sparking a 13-2 run capped by Curry's four-point play to hand the Blue Devils a comfortable 38-21 lead.
Wake Forest, however, closed out the first half with a 9-3 push to close its deficit to 41-30.
Duke finished the first half shooting 9-for-16 from three-point range and 12- for-33 overall, while the Demon Deacons went 11-of-26 from the floor and 2- for-5 from long range.
"I think you take the shots that are there and as long as they're good shots, we have confidence," Krzyzewski said.
The Blue Devils pulled away for good in the second half as they opened the frame with an 18-6 run to open up a 59-36 advantage.
Wake Forest never got closer than 13 points for the remainder of the contest.
Duke improved to 212-31 all-time while ranked No. 1 in the AP Poll ... The Blue Devils own a 161-77 advantage in the series against Wake Forest ... Duke has now won six straight ACC openers and is 26-7 in them under Krzyzewski ... The Blue Devils finished the game shooting 11-for-24 from three-point range.
- WAKE FOREST: 62
Jan 5 2:00 PM
- WAKE FOREST: 30
Jan 5 12:55 PM
- WAKE FOREST: 0
1st Half - 20:00
Jan 5 12:03 PM
- Krzyzewski has hernia surgery, expects to be healthy for Rio May 9
- Wake Forest adds 2nd grad transfer, Matt Williams from UCF Apr 27
- Duke's Grayson Allen has hernia surgery Apr 22
- Duke's Jefferson receives medical hardship waiver Apr 22
- Wake adds grad transfer Austin Arians from Milwaukee Apr 20
- Duke freshman guard Derryck Thornton to transfer Apr 10
- Grayson Allen to return to Duke for junior season Apr 6
- Duke's Brandon Ingram declares for NBA Draft after 1 season Apr 4
- Duke: Coach K recovering from knee replacement surgery Apr 3
- Duke ends with longer-than-expected NCAA run, short bench Mar 25
- Duke's title defense ends with 82-68 loss to Oregon Mar 25
- Oregon takes the national stage against defending champ Duke Mar 23