Coleman, No. 21 Minnesota down Florida StateNov 28, 2012 - 4:46 AM Minnesota Golden Gophers in a 77-68 decision over the Florida State Seminoles as part of the ACC/Big Ten Challenge.
The Gophers (7-1) led wire-to-wire behind 47 percent shooting and have won three straight since falling to Duke last Thursday in the Battle 4 Atlantis.
Rodney Williams, Jr. added 14 points, Austin Hollins had 13 and Andre Hollins chipped in 12 with five rebounds and five assists in the convincing victory.
Terrance Shannon recorded 14 points and 11 rebounds while Michael Snaer netted 12 points for Florida State (4-2), which has lost five straight years in this event.
Williams threw down a putback jam on Minnesota's first possession and started a string of seven consecutive points by the visitors to start things off.
The Gophers led by as many as 15 in the opening half, and Julian Welch's late 3-pointer resulted in a 38-25 lead at the break.
The Seminoles, who had won four in a row following a season-opening loss to South Alabama, shot 32 percent (9-of-28) from the floor in the first 20 minutes and were even colder immediately after halftime, missing eight of their first 10 attempts.
The margin reached 21 when an Andre Hollins layup made it 58-37 near the midway point, and it remained a double-digit game until the final minute.
A 12-1 run for Florida State cut the deficit to 10 with 6 1/2 minutes to play, but Minnesota responded by scoring 11 of the next 15 points to put the game away. Williams again highlighted the final surge with a thunderous dunk while being fouled, with the free throw yielding an insurmountable 70-53 lead.
Both teams are 6-8 in ACC/Big Ten Challenges ... Florida State had just eight assists, compared to 17 for Minnesota ... The Gophers scored 26 points of 14 turnovers ... Minnesota center Elliott Eliason pulled down a game-high 10 boards.
- MINNESOTA: 77
FLORIDA STATE: 68
Nov 27 9:32 PM
- MINNESOTA: 38
FLORIDA STATE: 25
Nov 27 8:09 PM
- MINNESOTA: 0
FLORIDA STATE: 0
1st Half - 20:00
Nov 27 7:19 PM
- Under-pressure Pitino: 'We've got to get this right' May 12
- Audit finds overspending on travel by Gophers' coach May 11
- Prosecutor delays charging decision against Minnesota player May 10
- Minnesota: Basketball player arrested on sex assault charge May 8
- Florida State guard Rathan-Mayes returning for junior season May 2
- Junior college guard Angola-Rodas to attend Florida State Apr 20
- Guard Akeem Springs joins Minnesota as graduate transfer Apr 19
- Mutombo's nephew signs to play basketball at Florida State Apr 13
- Florida State's Rathan-Mayes to enter NBA draft Apr 5
- Minnesota guard to transfer after sex video suspension Apr 4
- 3 Minnesota players suspended for video are reinstated Mar 29
- Florida State's Bacon withdraws from NBA draft consideration Mar 28