Second-half surge leads Hurricanes over SpartansNov 29, 2012 - 7:10 AM Coral Gables, FL (Sports Network) - Trey McKinney Jones and Shane Larkin sparked a second-half charge that lifted the Miami-Florida Hurricanes to an impressive 67-59 victory over the 13th-ranked Michigan State Spartans in the ACC/Big Ten Challenge.
McKinney Jones finished with a game-high 18 points on 5-of-7 shooting from beyond the arc and Larkin supplied 15 for the Hurricanes (4-1). The duo contributed 12 points apiece after halftime.
"This was November's highlight," Hurricanes head coach Jim Larranaga said. "Now we need to get some December highlights."
Durand Scott paced Miami in the first half, scoring 11 of his 15 points.
Reggie Johnson posted a double-double of 10 points and 11 rebounds in the Hurricanes' first-ever meeting with Michigan State.
Keith Appling had 15 points for the Spartans (5-2), who had won five straight since dropping the season opener to Connecticut in Germany.
"It's going to get better once we get our rotation down. I still like where I think we've got a chance to go, but I sure don't like it right now," Spartans head coach Tom Izzo said.
Gary Harris and Travis Trice both returned Wednesday for Michigan State. Harris, who missed two games with a shoulder sprain, supplied 12 points and eight boards, while Trice had nine points in his first action since suffering a concussion against the Huskies.
A back-and-forth first frame ended with the Spartans holding a 31-27 edge.
Miami went on a 14-2 run to begin the second half to seize control. Larkin registered seven points during the surge that put the Hurricanes up 41-33.
McKinney Jones drained a 3-pointer from the right corner and Scott made two free throws to extend the lead to 57-45 with 6:27 remaining. Miami's advantage never dipped below eight the rest of the way.
Miami improved to 2-4 in the ACC/Big Ten Challenge, while the Spartans' record fell to 6-7 ... The Hurricanes held a 16-5 advantage in made free throws ... Michigan State shot just 45.5 percent (5-of-11) at the foul line ... Branden Dawson scored 11 points for the Spartans.
- MICHIGAN STATE: 59
Nov 28 9:26 PM
- MICHIGAN STATE: 31
Nov 28 8:15 PM
- MICHIGAN STATE: 0
1st Half - 20:00
Nov 28 7:35 PM
- Australian Vasiljevic signs to play basketball for Miami Apr 13
- Michigan State's Deyonta Davis enters NBA draft after 1 year Apr 12
- Marvin Clark and Javon Bess plan to leave Michigan State Mar 28
- Miami Hurricanes sophomore James Palmer decides to transfer Mar 28
- Miami falls to 0-3 in Sweet 16, routed 92-69 by Villanova Mar 25
- Friendship will take a backseat in Villanova-Miami matchup Mar 23
- Izzo will assist Davis as he explores option of entering NBA Mar 22
- Miami plays Villanova with chance at 1st Elite 8 berth Mar 21
- Michigan State's Valentine laments a game he'll never forget Mar 19
- No. 2 Michigan State becomes NCAA's early bracket-buster Mar 18
- Wichita State Shockers face Miami, ready to keep on shocking Mar 18
- Michigan State promises it won't overlook MTSU Mar 17