UNC pulls away in second half to beat LBSUNov 17, 2012 - 6:50 AM North Carolina fended off Long Beach State, 78-63, in a tough non-conference battle at the Walter Pyramid.
Marcus Paige chipped in 15 points and P.J. Hairston added 14 for the Tar Heels (3-0), who needed a 17-2 run in the second half to put the 49ers away.
James Ennis and Mike Caffey led Long Beach State (1-2) with 18 and 14 points, respectively, in the loss, which ended the program's 23-game home winning streak.
The Tar Heels made three of their first four attempts from 3-point range, but missed 13 straight to keep the 49ers in the game.
They finally hit their stride with just over 15 minutes remaining when Reggie Bullock and Paige hit from deep on consecutive possessions, the latter resulting in a 45-43 lead.
McAdoo followed with a three-point play and a tip-in, and after Ennis stopped the run with a layup, UNC hit 3-pointers four straight times down the floor. Bullock hit the first, Leslie McDonald followed and Hairston made two in a row for a sudden 62-48 cushion with 11 minutes to play.
The visitors led by double digits the rest of the way.
A tight first half ended with Brice Johnson putting in a pair of buckets in the final minute to give UNC a 33-32 edge.
North Carolina heads to Hawaii next week to participate in the Maui Invitational, starting with a matchup against Mississippi State on Monday ... The Tar Heels did not score any fastbreak points but held a 55-39 rebounding advantage ... There were nine ties and 10 lead changes.
- NORTH CAROLINA: 78
LONG BEACH STATE: 63
Nov 17 1:03 AM
- NORTH CAROLINA: 33
LONG BEACH STATE: 32
Nov 16 11:55 PM
- NORTH CAROLINA: 0
LONG BEACH STATE: 0
1st Half - 20:00
Nov 16 11:13 PM
- Justin Jackson withdraws from draft, will return to UNC May 16
- UNC's Meeks back for senior year after NBA draft flirtation May 4
- UNC: Jackson, Meeks declare for NBA but not hiring agent Apr 22
- Attorney: NCAA also deserves blame in UNC fraud scandal Apr 19
- UNC's Williams aims to coach Tar Heels another 5-9 years Apr 12
- UNC reserve Kenny Williams III recovering from knee surgery Apr 7
- Tar Heels begin moving forward after falling short of title Apr 5
- UNC's Berry on crutches with foot injury after Final Four Apr 5
- Williams and Tar Heels stunned by last-second loss to 'Nova Apr 5
- UNC, Syracuse vastly different but familiar Final Four foes Apr 2
- Double-digit not Cinderella for Syracuse; UNC last No. 1 Mar 31
- Paige's shot returns in time for Tar Heels' Final Four run Mar 29