Ohio State routs Northern KentuckyDec 2, 2012 - 12:46 AM Columbus, OH (Sports Network) - LaQuinton Ross had 22 points and eight rebounds, as the fourth-ranked Ohio State Buckeyes bounced back with a 70-43 victory over the Northern Kentucky Norse.
Deshaun Thomas added 14 points and eight boards for the Buckeyes (5-1), who lost to Duke on Wednesday. Sam Thompson tallied 10 points.
"It was great having more playing time tonight," Ross said. "Our coaches told me to shoot more and get more comfortable with my footwork, and that's what I did."
Jalen Billups ended with 11 points and nine rebounds for the Norse (0-5), who shot just 27.1 percent from the field.
Holding an 18-14 lead with nine minutes left in the first half, Ohio State went on an 18-3 run. Ross tallied seven points during the burst to make it a 36-17 contest with two minutes to go.
Northern Kentucky scored the final five points of the half to cut the gap to 36-22.
The Buckeyes started the second half on a 9-3 spurt to build a 45-25 margin.
"It is an absolutely tremendous opportunity for us to play with one of the most historical teams in the country," Northern Kentucky coach Dave Bezold said. "It is a special moment for our kids to be on this floor and play against such a great program. We are going to take great things away from this experience."
Ohio State and Northern Kentucky met for the first time Saturday ... The Buckeyes are 13-0 all-time against members of the Atlantic Sun Conference ... The Buckeyes have won 35 straight non-conference game in Columbus ... Northern Kentucky turned the ball over 20 times, leading to 22 Ohio State points ... The Buckeyes went 17-of-20 from the foul line.
- NORTHERN KENTUCKY: 43
OHIO STATE: 70
Dec 1 6:17 PM
- NORTHERN KENTUCKY: 22
OHIO STATE: 36
Dec 1 5:16 PM
- NORTHERN KENTUCKY: 0
OHIO STATE: 0
1st Half - 20:00
Dec 1 4:40 PM
- 3 freshman leave Ohio State basketball team Mar 30
- Ohio State F Jae'Sean Tate headed for season-ending surgery Feb 23
- Correction: Northern Kentucky-Valparaiso story Feb 16
- Ohio State, Nike agree on $252M sponsorship extension Jan 15
- Saint Bonaventure beats Ohio 81-68 Dec 5
- Ohio State Preview Capsule Oct 27
- 'Lots of unknowns' for Ohio State team full of young players Oct 27
- Ohio State's Russell says he's going pro Apr 22
- McConnell guides Arizona past Russell, Ohio State Mar 21
- Ohio State and Arizona square off in West Regional action Mar 21
- Russell leads Buckeyes over VCU Mar 19
- Rams butt heads with Buckeyes in West Region Mar 19