Indiana thumps Bryant to open seasonNov 10, 2012 - 4:55 AM Bloomington, IN (Sports Network) - Indiana awarded Tom Crean with a two-year contract extension prior to the game and then the Hoosiers rewarded their head coach with a victory in their season opener.
Cody Zeller netted 18 points in No. 1 Indiana's 97-54 thumping of Bryant.
Christian Watford tallied 15 points and 15 rebounds, while Jeremy Hollowell and Remy Abell recorded 12 points apiece off the bench for the Hoosiers (1-0), who are ranked No. 1 in the preseason poll for the first time in 33 years.
Athletic director Fred Glass announced that Crean had been extended to a sold-out crowd prior to tip-off.
"The opportunity to work at a university like this, the opportunity to live here, but none of this would be possible without what my coaches do. I have such a great staff," Crean said of his extension.
The deal will keep Crean in Bloomington through the 2019-20 season.
The institution won just a total of 28 games over Crean's first three years, but nearly matched that mark last year by going 27-9.
The improvement carried the Hoosiers to a Sweet 16 run, which ended with a loss to eventual national champion Kentucky.
Alex Francis registered 15 points and eight rebounds for Bryant (0-1).
"They had a huge size advantage and they have the best player (Zeller) in the country," Bryant head coach Tim O'Shea said.
A Corey Maynard layup gave the Bulldogs a 15-14 lead midway through the opening half, but Indiana responded with a 22-6 run to establish control of the contest.
Zeller had eight points during the swing as the Hoosiers took a commanding 31-16 advantage late in the half before entering the break with a 48-28 edge.
The Hoosiers cruised in the second half.
Indiana shot 56 percent (30-of-54) from the floor, while Bryant was 32 percent (20-of-62) from the field ... Both teams turned the ball over 17 times ... The Hoosiers outrebounded the Bulldogs, 45-26.
- BRYANT: 54
Nov 9 10:05 PM
- Blackmon Jr. declares for NBA draft without hiring agent Apr 25
- Indiana forward Troy Williams enters NBA draft, could return Apr 12
- Thomas Bryant to return for sophomore season at Indiana Apr 7
- Former Indiana Hoosiers star Archie Dees dies at age 80 Apr 4
- Sweet 16 loss to North Carolina ends Yogi years at Indiana Mar 26
- Heels vs. Hoosiers in Sweet 16: These teams shoot and score Mar 24
- Crean overcomes criticism to lead Hoosiers back to Sweet 16 Mar 23
- Hoosiers turnaround inspired by tougher, stouter defense Mar 23
- Indiana tops Kentucky 73-67 for Sweet 16 berth Mar 19
- Kentucky and Indiana square off for first time in 4 years Mar 18
- Indiana prepares for Chattanooga, No. 12 seed pressure Mar 16
- Ferrell says Indiana legacy incomplete without deep NCAA run Mar 14