No. 1 Indiana rolls over Coppin StateDec 2, 2012 - 11:54 AM Bloomington, IN (Sports Network) - Victor Oladipo posted 14 points, six rebounds and six assists as top-ranked Indiana crushed Coppin State, 87-51.
Will Sheehey added 14 points, six rebounds and four assists while Christian Watford gave 10 points and seven rebounds for the Hoosiers (8-0), who have won every game this season by double-digits.
Taariq Cephas had 13 points and four rebounds while Michael Murray gave nine points and 12 boards for the Eagles (1-6), who have dropped their past two games.
"It's a great atmosphere for them to play in. It's not every day that a team can say they got to go up against the No. 1 team in the country," Coppin State coach Ron Mitchell said. "A lot of these kids recognize where they are, and it's a great place to be and they'll take this back as a memory."
Indiana had a sluggish start to the game and that allowed Coppin State to take a 9-2 lead 4 1/2 minutes in after Cephas capped the spurt with a bucket.
The Hoosiers, though, responded with a 12-2 run and took their first lead of the game when Watford buried a 3-pointer for a 14-11 advantage.
Indiana stayed on top from that point on and scored the final 11 points of the half with Remy Abell's 3-pointer near the break giving the team a 33-19 lead going into the locker room.
The Eagles had cut their deficit to nine points a couple of times in the second half, but Jordan Hulls' 3-pointer 3 1/2 minutes in put the Hoosiers up by 12 and it stayed in double-digits the rest of the game.
Indiana's lead reached as high as 37 as the team cruised to the finish line.
"We didn't have a great start, but I thought we played well defensively the whole game," said Oladipo. "We did a good job of turning it up in the second half. The guys off the bench did a great job coming in and playing defense, and if we continue to keep doing that throughout the season, we'll be successful."
Indiana has won both matchups with Coppin State. The only other game was in 2007, with the Hoosiers taking a 73-46 victory at home ... Indiana has off until next Saturday when it will host Central Connecticut State ... The Hoosiers shot 51.7 percent in the game while holding the Eagles to 33.9 percent from the floor.
- COPPIN STATE: 51
Dec 1 9:37 PM
- COPPIN STATE: 19
Dec 1 8:46 PM
- COPPIN STATE: 0
1st Half - 20:00
Dec 1 7:36 PM
- Blackmon Jr. declares for NBA draft without hiring agent Apr 25
- Indiana forward Troy Williams enters NBA draft, could return Apr 12
- Thomas Bryant to return for sophomore season at Indiana Apr 7
- Former Indiana Hoosiers star Archie Dees dies at age 80 Apr 4
- Sweet 16 loss to North Carolina ends Yogi years at Indiana Mar 26
- Heels vs. Hoosiers in Sweet 16: These teams shoot and score Mar 24
- Crean overcomes criticism to lead Hoosiers back to Sweet 16 Mar 23
- Hoosiers turnaround inspired by tougher, stouter defense Mar 23
- Indiana tops Kentucky 73-67 for Sweet 16 berth Mar 19
- Kentucky and Indiana square off for first time in 4 years Mar 18
- Indiana prepares for Chattanooga, No. 12 seed pressure Mar 16
- Ferrell says Indiana legacy incomplete without deep NCAA run Mar 14