No. 1 Indiana pounds Central Connecticut StateDec 9, 2012 - 6:08 AM Bloomington, IN (Sports Network) - Cody Zeller had 19 points and 18 rebounds in No. 1 Indiana's 100-69 win over Central Connecticut State.
Christian Watford netted 19 points and Victory Oladipo tallied 15 points and nine boards for the Hoosiers (9-0), who shot 54.2 percent (39-of-72) from the floor.
"They're a hard team to play and we knew they would be, but that's where everybody is trying to do their very best," Indiana coach Tom Crean said. "We can get better. We will get better and I thought our guys did a really good job of playing through their emotions throughout the game."
Indiana lost sophomore forward Austin Etherington late in the first half with an apparent left leg injury. The injury occurred on a play underneath the basket and was taken away on a stretcher.
Matt Hunter had 40 points for Central Connecticut State (4-4), which had won four of its last five games coming in.
Joe Efese's dunk pulled the Blue Devils within 16-14 approximately six minutes in, but the Hoosiers quickly seized control of the contest with a 29-4 run.
Zeller, Oladipo and Will Sheehey all netted five points apiece during the surge and the home team led, 45-18, with 5:40 remaining in the half before taking a 54-34 advantage into the break.
The margin swelled as high as 37 over the final 20 minutes.
"We didn't have a lot of answers for them defensively," Central Connecticut coach Howie Dickenman said. "It seemed like they got what they wanted and when they missed, they got offensive rebounds. They moved the ball very well."
Indiana outrebounded Central Connecticut State, 52-25 ... The Blue Devils shot 33.3 percent (24-of-72) from the field ... The Hoosiers registered 20 assists and nine steals.
- CENTRAL CONNECTICUT STATE: 69
Dec 8 8:00 PM
- CENTRAL CONNECTICUT STATE: 34
Dec 8 6:57 PM
- CENTRAL CONNECTICUT STATE: 0
1st Half - 20:00
Dec 8 6:07 PM
- Blackmon Jr. declares for NBA draft without hiring agent Apr 25
- Indiana forward Troy Williams enters NBA draft, could return Apr 12
- Thomas Bryant to return for sophomore season at Indiana Apr 7
- Former UConn star Marshall to coach Central Connecticut Apr 6
- Former Indiana Hoosiers star Archie Dees dies at age 80 Apr 4
- Sweet 16 loss to North Carolina ends Yogi years at Indiana Mar 26
- Heels vs. Hoosiers in Sweet 16: These teams shoot and score Mar 24
- Crean overcomes criticism to lead Hoosiers back to Sweet 16 Mar 23
- Hoosiers turnaround inspired by tougher, stouter defense Mar 23
- Indiana tops Kentucky 73-67 for Sweet 16 berth Mar 19
- Kentucky and Indiana square off for first time in 4 years Mar 18
- Indiana prepares for Chattanooga, No. 12 seed pressure Mar 16