Zeller, Hoosiers rout Mount St. Mary'sDec 20, 2012 - 3:36 AM Bloomington, IN (Sports Network) - Cody Zeller finished with 16 points and six rebounds on Wednesday, as the sixth-ranked Indiana Hoosiers bounced back from their first loss of the season with a resounding 93-54 victory over Mount St. Mary's at Assembly Hall.
Will Sheehey added 16 points off the bench, while Christian Watford donated 15 points and eight boards for the Hoosiers (10-1), who had won their first nine games before falling to Butler in overtime on Saturday.
"I was really proud of our team in the way that they responded," Indiana coach Tom Crean remarked. "When you come off a tough loss it creates a different level of urgency in your team and we dealt with a multitude of situations."
Rashad Whack led all scorers with 17 points and Josh Castellanos and Sam Prescott followed with 10 points each for Mount St. Mary's (4-5), which has lost two straight.
"I think our kids did some good things tonight, but sometimes you're just a little out-manned," Mount St. Mary's coach Jamion Christian admitted.
The Mountaineers kept it close early and trailed by just one, 18-17, at the midpoint of the first thanks to eight points from Prescott.
The Hoosiers, though, netted the next eight points, including four from Zeller, to take a nine-point lead less than two minutes later.
Mount St. Mary's pulled within four later in the frame after a 3-pointer from Castellanos, but Indiana closed the half on a 16-3 spurt, capped by Watford's 3-pointer to send the Hoosiers into the locker room holding a 46-29 cushion.
Indiana's surge continued in the second, as the Hoosiers poured in the first 11 points out of the break to build a comfortable 28-point advantage just over three minutes into the second half.
The home team cruised the rest of the way and led by as many as 41 en route to the wire-to-wire victory.
Indiana announced that backup guard Maurice Creek is out indefinitely after sustaining an undisclosed injury to his right foot during Sunday's practice ... Indiana shot 70.6 percent (36-of-51) from the field and held Mount St. Mary's to 31.5 percent (17-of-54) from the floor ... The Hoosiers won the rebounding battle, 41-18.
- MT. ST. MARY NY: 54
Dec 19 8:56 PM
- MT. ST. MARY NY: 29
Dec 19 7:48 PM
- MT. ST. MARY NY: 0
1st Half - 20:00
Dec 19 7:06 PM
- Blackmon Jr. declares for NBA draft without hiring agent Apr 25
- Indiana forward Troy Williams enters NBA draft, could return Apr 12
- Thomas Bryant to return for sophomore season at Indiana Apr 7
- Former Indiana Hoosiers star Archie Dees dies at age 80 Apr 4
- Sweet 16 loss to North Carolina ends Yogi years at Indiana Mar 26
- Heels vs. Hoosiers in Sweet 16: These teams shoot and score Mar 24
- Crean overcomes criticism to lead Hoosiers back to Sweet 16 Mar 23
- Hoosiers turnaround inspired by tougher, stouter defense Mar 23
- Indiana tops Kentucky 73-67 for Sweet 16 berth Mar 19
- Kentucky and Indiana square off for first time in 4 years Mar 18
- Indiana prepares for Chattanooga, No. 12 seed pressure Mar 16
- Ferrell says Indiana legacy incomplete without deep NCAA run Mar 14