No. 5 Indiana rips Penn StateJan 8, 2013 - 5:55 AM University Park, PA (Sports Network) - Christian Watford scored 16 points and added eight rebounds to lead No. 5 Indiana in a 74-51 romp of Penn State.
Cody Zeller scored 15 points with five rebounds and four steals while Jordan Hulls gave 14 points for the Hoosiers (14-1, 2-0 Big Ten), who have won five straight since losing to Butler in overtime on Dec. 15. Victor Oladipo added 10 points and six rebounds in the win.
"I am extremely proud of our teams efforts defensively," said Indiana head coach Tom Crean. "We are on the road and held the team to 32 percent shooting."
Ross Travis gave 14 points and five rebounds and Jermaine Marshall had 11 points and seven boards for the Lions (8-6, 0-2), who have dropped their past two games.
"When you play a team like Indiana, you have to produce points," said Penn State head coach Patrick Chambers. "If you don't produce any points, it is going to be a long night."
Indiana used an early 11-0 run to take control of the game with Hulls' 3- pointer giving the team a 15-3 lead just over five minutes in.
The Hoosiers pushed their advantage to 18 later in the half, but the Lions countered with a 6-0 run capped on a 3-point play from Sasa Borovnjak to make it a 31-19 game with seven minutes to play.
It didn't get any closer than that, though, and Indiana took a 44-27 lead into the break.
Penn State kept it from getting out of hand through much of the second half, but Zeller hit a layup and a dunk to extend the lead to 20, 61-41, with under eight minutes to play and that sealed the win.
Indiana leads the series with Penn State, 32-9 ... Indiana hosts Minnesota on Saturday ... The Hoosiers shot 52.4 percent in the game and held the Lions to just 31.7 percent from the floor.
- INDIANA: 74
PENN STATE: 51
Jan 7 9:14 PM
- INDIANA: 44
PENN STATE: 27
Jan 7 7:55 PM
- INDIANA: 0
PENN STATE: 0
1st Half - 20:00
Jan 7 7:07 PM
- Blackmon Jr. declares for NBA draft without hiring agent Apr 25
- Indiana forward Troy Williams enters NBA draft, could return Apr 12
- Thomas Bryant to return for sophomore season at Indiana Apr 7
- Former Indiana Hoosiers star Archie Dees dies at age 80 Apr 4
- Sweet 16 loss to North Carolina ends Yogi years at Indiana Mar 26
- Heels vs. Hoosiers in Sweet 16: These teams shoot and score Mar 24
- Crean overcomes criticism to lead Hoosiers back to Sweet 16 Mar 23
- Hoosiers turnaround inspired by tougher, stouter defense Mar 23
- Indiana tops Kentucky 73-67 for Sweet 16 berth Mar 19
- Kentucky and Indiana square off for first time in 4 years Mar 18
- Indiana prepares for Chattanooga, No. 12 seed pressure Mar 16
- Ferrell says Indiana legacy incomplete without deep NCAA run Mar 14