Indiana prepares for Michigan with rout of PurdueJan 31, 2013 - 7:48 AM West Lafayette, IN (Sports Network) - With a showdown against No. 1 Michigan looming, Indiana didn't stumble against Purdue.
Cody Zeller scored 19 points with 11 rebounds as the third-ranked Hoosiers routed the Boilermakers, 97-60, at Mackey Arena.
"To win here, you've really got to be on top of your game and I don't just mean offensive and defensive execution," Indiana coach Tom Crean said. "It's attitude, it's energy, it's toughness and our guys did all of those things tonight."
Victor Oladipo and Christian Watford each had 17 points for Indiana (19-2, 7-1 Big Ten), which hosts the Wolverines on Saturday.
Freshman A.J. Hammons paced the Boilermakers (11-10, 4-4) with a season-high 30 points on 10-of-14 shooting.
The teams went back-and-forth for the first nine minutes, with a Travis Carroll jumper trimming Indiana's lead to 18-17. Oladipo, however, capped a 9-0 run with a trey, giving the Hoosiers their first double-digit advantage at 27-17.
The lead grew to 47-25 late in the frame on a Zeller tip-in.
Indiana didn't slow down in the second half, shooting a scorching 57.1 percent and going 7-of-10 from 3-point range.
"They're a tough, hard-nosed basketball team," Purdue head coach Matt Painter said of Indiana. "They just have a lot of weapons."
Kevin Ferrell and Jordan Hulls scored 11 and 10 points, respectively, for the Hoosiers ... Indiana has downed Purdue three straight times, but the Boilermakers still lead the all-time series, 112-87.
- INDIANA: 97
Jan 30 10:34 PM
- INDIANA: 47
Jan 30 9:29 PM
- INDIANA: 0
1st Half - 20:00
Jan 30 8:36 PM
- Former Michigan guard formally joins Purdue program May 17
- Blackmon Jr. declares for NBA draft without hiring agent Apr 25
- Indiana forward Troy Williams enters NBA draft, could return Apr 12
- Thomas Bryant to return for sophomore season at Indiana Apr 7
- Purdue's Edwards declares for NBA draft without agent Apr 5
- Former Indiana Hoosiers star Archie Dees dies at age 80 Apr 4
- Purdue's Kendall Stephens plans to explore transferring Mar 31
- Sweet 16 loss to North Carolina ends Yogi years at Indiana Mar 26
- Heels vs. Hoosiers in Sweet 16: These teams shoot and score Mar 24
- Crean overcomes criticism to lead Hoosiers back to Sweet 16 Mar 23
- Hoosiers turnaround inspired by tougher, stouter defense Mar 23
- Boilermakers forward Caleb Swanigan plans to test NBA draft Mar 22