No. 1 Indiana makes short work of PurdueFeb 17, 2013 - 12:10 AM Bloomington, IN (Sports Network) - Will Sheehey poured in a game-high 22 points and Cody Zeller added 19 points and nine rebounds to lead top-ranked Indiana to a 83-55 drubbing of Purdue at Assembly Hall.
Christian Watford scored 14 points and Jordan Hulls scored 11 for the Hoosiers (23-3, 11-2 Big Ten), winners in three straight and eight of their last nine games overall.
"I thought our guys did a great job. A lot of excellent basketball throughout the game, in the sense of continuing to push it up," said Indiana head coach Tom Crean. "I thought our team got better as the game went on. That's what you want as a coach. You want to continue to make adjustments that will make you better inside of the game. That's what they did. That was a huge win for us."
Standout guard Victor Oladipo left the game late in the first half with an apparent ankle injury. He returned to the bench, but did not make an appearance in the second half. He scored three points on 1-of-3 shooting.
Terone Johnson and Anthony Johnson scored 11 points apiece for the Boilermakers (12-14, 5-8), who have dropped three straight.
"We just have to do a better job of maintaining that consistent effort. Sometimes its just a breakdown, sometimes it is effort, it's a little bit of everything," said Purdue head coach Matt Painter.
Purdue stayed within striking distance early, but an Oladipo free throw started a 13-2 run which ended on a Sheehey slam to put Indiana up 21-8 with 11 minutes left.
Indiana's lead grew to 33-14 following an Oladipo layup with just over seven minutes remaining in the first half, but the Boilermakers used a 13-4 surge, capped with D.J. Byrd's triple, to make it 37-27 with 2 1/2 minutes left and went into the break trailing 41-29.
Sheehey's layup near the midway point of the second half pushed the Hoosiers lead over 20 points, at 61-40, and the advantage swelled to as many as 34 over the final stages of the game.
Despite the loss, Purdue holds a 112-88 lead in the all-time series ... Indiana improved to 14-1 when it scores at least 80 points ... The Hooisers will face No. 8 Michigan State on Tuesday ... IU outscored the Boilermakes in the paint, 40-28 ... The Hoosiers scored 25 points off of 17 Purdue turnovers.
- PURDUE: 55
Feb 16 4:13 PM
- PURDUE: 55
End of Regulation
Feb 16 4:13 PM
- PURDUE: 29
Feb 16 2:58 PM
- PURDUE: 0
1st Half - 20:00
Feb 16 2:07 PM
- Former Michigan guard formally joins Purdue program May 17
- Blackmon Jr. declares for NBA draft without hiring agent Apr 25
- Indiana forward Troy Williams enters NBA draft, could return Apr 12
- Thomas Bryant to return for sophomore season at Indiana Apr 7
- Purdue's Edwards declares for NBA draft without agent Apr 5
- Former Indiana Hoosiers star Archie Dees dies at age 80 Apr 4
- Purdue's Kendall Stephens plans to explore transferring Mar 31
- Sweet 16 loss to North Carolina ends Yogi years at Indiana Mar 26
- Heels vs. Hoosiers in Sweet 16: These teams shoot and score Mar 24
- Crean overcomes criticism to lead Hoosiers back to Sweet 16 Mar 23
- Hoosiers turnaround inspired by tougher, stouter defense Mar 23
- Boilermakers forward Caleb Swanigan plans to test NBA draft Mar 22