No. 5 Michigan stomps IUPUINov 13, 2012 - 7:08 AM Ann Arbor, MI (Sports Network) - Trey Burke had 22 points and nine assists and was one of five Michigan players in double-digit points as the fifth- ranked Wolverines routed IUPUI, 91-54, in a NIT Season Tip-Off.
Glenn Robinson III posted 21 points and six rebounds, Nik Stauskas scored 11 points, while Jordan Morgan and Tim Hardaway Jr. each had 10 for the Wolverines (2-0), who beat Slippery Rock by 38 points on Friday.
"The efficiency today was more about our defense in the second half," Michigan coach John Beilein remarked. "We were in a fast break mode the whole time."
John Hart had 15 points and was the only player in double-digits for the Jaguars (1-1), who beat Utah Valley in their opener on Friday.
"We definitely got better today," IUPUI coach Todd Howard said. "It's about opportunities to get your team better. Now the goal is to get to 2-1 tomorrow and it's definitely a tough chore."
It stayed close early and IUPUI led by one point, but two free throws from Hardaway, a Burke 3-pointer and a bucket from Robinson gave the Wolverines a 14-9 lead.
The Jaguars had cut the deficit to one point later in the first half, but Michigan closed out the frame with a 14-4 run to take a 45-31 advantage into the break.
Michigan scored the first seven points of the second half for a 52-31 lead after a Morgan layup.
IUPUI kept it respectable over the next several minutes, but went close to six minutes without a point late in the game as Michigan pulled away.
Michigan hosts North Carolina State on Nov. 27 ... The Wolverines shot 60 percent and grabbed 42 rebounds ... IUPUI made just 34.9 percent of its shots and pulled down 23 rebounds.
- IUPUI: 54
Nov 12 10:48 PM
- IUPUI: 31
Nov 12 9:48 PM
- IUPUI: 0
1st Half - 20:00
Nov 12 9:06 PM
- Michigan-UCLA basketball to play home-and-home series May 13
- Michigan hires assistant hoops coaches Donlon and Washington May 4
- Michigan's Chatman receives release, plans to transfer May 3
- Michigan's Dawkins transferring to play for father at UCF Apr 6
- Michigan lifts transfer restrictions for Doyle, Albrecht Apr 1
- Doyle, Albrecht receive transfer releases from Michigan Mar 29
- Michigan-Notre Dame is still a great rivalry Mar 17
- Michigan's last-second shots set up First Four vs Tulsa Mar 16
- Werner, N. Dakota St. beat IUPUI in Summit tourney quarters Mar 6
- Tough finish for injured Michigan seniors LeVert, Albrecht Mar 2
- Michigan's Caris LeVert out for season because of ailing leg Mar 1
- Michigan's LeVert returns from leg injury against Purdue Feb 13