No. 2 Michigan holds off Central MichiganDec 30, 2012 - 4:53 AM Ann Arbor, MI (Sports Network) - Trey Burke had 22 points and 11 assists as No. 2 Michigan took an 88-73 win over Central Michigan on Saturday.
Glenn Robinson III gave 20 points while Nik Stauskas added 19 points and seven rebounds for the Wolverines (13-0), who have posted double-digit victories in each of their last six games.
"Trey is the most veteran sophomore I've ever been around," Michigan coach John Beilein said of Burke. "He has unbelievable poise for someone who is only a couple months into his sophomore season."
Olivier Mbaigoto gave 14 points and five rebounds and Derrick Richardson Jr. and Austin Keel tallied 11 points apiece for the Chippewas (7-6), who have dropped two of three.
Michigan led this game from start to finish and had an 18-10 advantage after Burke put in a layup about 4 1/2 minutes in.
An 8-0 run a bit later saw the team take a 29-15 lead on a Jordan Morgan layup and it was a 39-21 game after Spike Albrecht put in two free throws with five minutes left.
It was a 46-29 game at the break. Michigan cruised from there as Central Michigan never got closer than 15 in the second half.
"It wasn't surprising to me how hard we worked to keep the game respectable," Central Michigan coach Keno Davis remarked. "We worked hard when it would have been easier to let the game get away from us."
Michigan plays at Northwestern on Thursday ... The Wolverines lead the series with the Chippewas, 21-3 ... Michigan shot 51.5 percent while Central Michigan shot 47.5 percent.
- CENTRAL MICHIGAN: 73
Dec 29 8:43 PM
- CENTRAL MICHIGAN: 29
Dec 29 7:43 PM
- CENTRAL MICHIGAN: 0
1st Half - 20:00
Dec 29 7:06 PM
- Michigan-UCLA basketball to play home-and-home series May 13
- Michigan hires assistant hoops coaches Donlon and Washington May 4
- Michigan's Chatman receives release, plans to transfer May 3
- Michigan's Dawkins transferring to play for father at UCF Apr 6
- Michigan lifts transfer restrictions for Doyle, Albrecht Apr 1
- Doyle, Albrecht receive transfer releases from Michigan Mar 29
- Michigan-Notre Dame is still a great rivalry Mar 17
- Michigan's last-second shots set up First Four vs Tulsa Mar 16
- Tough finish for injured Michigan seniors LeVert, Albrecht Mar 2
- Michigan's Caris LeVert out for season because of ailing leg Mar 1
- Michigan's LeVert returns from leg injury against Purdue Feb 13
- LeVert sitting out again for Michigan against Maryland Jan 12