Burke and Michigan take out PurdueJan 25, 2013 - 7:47 AM
Tim Hardaway Jr. tallied 13 points, while Glenn Robinson III added 12 points and nine rebounds for the Wolverines (18-1, 5-1 Big Ten), who have won two straight since suffering their lone loss of the season at Ohio State on Jan. 13.
"This was just another game for me," Robinson, the son of of the former Purdue star with the same name said. "It was my dream early on to go to Purdue, but I know that I'm where I am supposed to be. I love Michigan. This is home."
Terone Johnson led Purdue (10-9, 3-3) with 14 points and D.J. Byrd donated 11 points and six boards for the Boilermakers, who had won three straight.
"They made it a lot tougher for us in the second half," Byrd said. "We couldn't get the open looks we were getting in the first half."
Purdue carried a 33-32 advantage into the break, but after the teams traded buckets early in the second half, Michigan used a 14-2 surge to build a double-digit lead and essentially put the game out of reach.
With the Wolverines trailing by one, 40-39, Robinson buried a 3-pointer to spark the run before Jon Horford capped it with a tip-in to make it 53-42 with 9:23 to play.
Purdue answered with a 6-0 sprint to pull within five, but Nik Stauskas connected on a triple at the other end before Mitch McGary made back-to-back buckets to push the margin back above double digits with 3:28 to play.
The Boilermakers never threatened again, as Michigan led by double digits the rest of the way en route to the victory.
Early on, Purdue knocked down four of its first six attempts from beyond the arc to build a 16-9 lead just under six minutes into the game, but the Wolverines responded with a 7-3 swing to pull within three before closing the half on a 6-2 sprint to trim the margin to one heading into the break.
Michigan improved to 27-1 at Crisler Center over the last two years, with the lone loss coming against Purdue on Feb. 25, 2012 ... Purdue owns an 83-63 lead in the all-time series ... Rapheal Davis finished with 10 points and eight boards for the Boilermakers ... Stauskas scored 12 for Michigan.
- PURDUE: 53
Jan 24 8:56 PM
- PURDUE: 33
Jan 24 7:46 PM
- PURDUE: 0
1st Half - 20:00
Jan 24 7:03 PM
- Former Michigan guard formally joins Purdue program May 17
- Michigan-UCLA basketball to play home-and-home series May 13
- Michigan hires assistant hoops coaches Donlon and Washington May 4
- Michigan's Chatman receives release, plans to transfer May 3
- Michigan's Dawkins transferring to play for father at UCF Apr 6
- Purdue's Edwards declares for NBA draft without agent Apr 5
- Michigan lifts transfer restrictions for Doyle, Albrecht Apr 1
- Purdue's Kendall Stephens plans to explore transferring Mar 31
- Doyle, Albrecht receive transfer releases from Michigan Mar 29
- Boilermakers forward Caleb Swanigan plans to test NBA draft Mar 22
- Michigan-Notre Dame is still a great rivalry Mar 17
- One-hit wonder? Little Rock hopes to keep turnaround going Mar 16