No. 21 Michigan State easily handles Texas SouthernNov 18, 2012 - 8:27 PM East Lansing, MI (Sports Network) - Gary Harris scored 19 points on 7-of-10 shooting and the 21st-ranked Michigan State Spartans cruised past the Texas Southern Tigers, 69-41, on Sunday.
Branden Dawson added 13 points, six rebounds and five steals for the Spartans (2-1), who have won two in a row since opening the season with a loss to Connecticut.
"Gary has been as solid as anybody," Michigan State head coach Tom Izzo said. "He's making free throws, but if I had to pick a negative about him it would be his rebounding. I think he could be a phenomenal rebounder and he isn't doing that very well."
Fred Sturdivant had 10 points and 12 boards for the Tigers (1-3), who shot just 21.1 percent from the field. Raymond Penn also tallied 10 points.
The game was never in doubt after Michigan State started the game on an 11-3 run.
Texas Southern actually got within six, 23-17, when Lawrence Johnson-Danner made a 3-pointer and Kyrie Sutton made a layup with about seven minutes to go.
But the Spartans ended the first half on a 17-2 run to take a 40-19 lead.
Michigan State cruised to victory in the second half.
"Well we were trying to do some things that we can build on and get better as a basketball team," Texas Southern head coach Mike Davis said. "We knew it would be a definite challenge for us, especially after playing Friday night and flying out Saturday."
Michigan State leads the all-time series, 2-0 ... The Spartans improved to 96-18 all-time in home openers ... Michigan State shot 46.7 percent from the field.
- TEXAS SOUTHERN: 41
MICHIGAN STATE: 69
Nov 18 1:49 PM
- TEXAS SOUTHERN: 19
MICHIGAN STATE: 40
Nov 18 12:48 PM
- TEXAS SOUTHERN: 0
MICHIGAN STATE: 0
1st Half - 20:00
Nov 18 12:02 PM
- Michigan State's Deyonta Davis enters NBA draft after 1 year Apr 12
- Marvin Clark and Javon Bess plan to leave Michigan State Mar 28
- Izzo will assist Davis as he explores option of entering NBA Mar 22
- Michigan State's Valentine laments a game he'll never forget Mar 19
- No. 2 Michigan State becomes NCAA's early bracket-buster Mar 18
- Michigan State promises it won't overlook MTSU Mar 17
- Ex-basketball star Mateen Cleaves charged with sex assault Mar 15
- Deyonta Davis has shot to shine for 2nd-seeded Spartans Mar 15
- Michigan State's Tom Izzo may have a day beyond his dreams Mar 14
- Forbes has proven to be pivotal player for No. 2 Michigan St Mar 7
- Denzel Valentine draws comparisons to Michigan State greats Mar 4
- Michigan State's Kenny Goins out 2-4 weeks with knee injury Feb 16