No. 19 Michigan State rolls over Arkansas-Pine BluffDec 6, 2012 - 5:25 AM East Lansing, MI (Sports Network) - Gary Harris posted 13 points as No. 19 Michigan State cruised past Arkansas-Pine Bluff, 76-44, at the Breslin Center.
Travis Trice had 12 points and five assists while Branden Dawson gave 10 points and seven rebounds for the Spartans (7-2), who have won two straight.
"I thought, taking nothing away from Arkansas-Pine Bluff, that was in a way one of our worst performances of the year," said Michigan State head coach Tom Izzo. "I don't know who I'm more disappointed in -- a few guys, or myself."
DaVon Haynes had a game-high 20 points for the Golden Lions (1-7), who have dropped their past five games.
"I just want to say that Michigan State played a well-rounded basketball game and came out with a lot of intensity," said Arkansas-Pine Bluff head coach George Ivory. "They changed up what we tried to do offensively with their defensive pressure. The way they crashed the boards really hurt us tonight."
Michigan State scored the first 14 points of the game until Mitchell Anderson finally got Arkansas-Pine Bluff on the board, almost 10 minutes into the contest.
A 12-0 run by the Spartans later on, capped by a pair of free throws from Adreian Payne with just over three minutes to play in the first half, gave the team a 30-4 lead.
Daniel Broughton made a 3-pointer for the Golden Lions just before the halftime buzzer, but thanks to a measly 15.4 percent shooting for Arkansas- Pine Bluff in the half, the Spartans took a 38-12 lead into the break.
The Golden Lions got the first four points of the second half, but that was as close as it got as the Spartans responded with the next 12 and cruised the rest of the way.
Michigan State plays host to Loyola-Chicago on Saturday ... This was the first meeting between these two schools ... Michigan State shot 50 percent from the field in the game, while Arkansas-Pine Bluff hit just 27.8 percent of its attempts.
- ARKANSAS-PINE BLUFF: 44
MICHIGAN STATE: 76
Dec 5 10:09 PM
- ARKANSAS-PINE BLUFF: 12
MICHIGAN STATE: 38
Dec 5 8:54 PM
- ARKANSAS-PINE BLUFF: 0
MICHIGAN STATE: 0
1st Half - 20:00
Dec 5 8:07 PM
- Michigan State's Deyonta Davis enters NBA draft after 1 year Apr 12
- Marvin Clark and Javon Bess plan to leave Michigan State Mar 28
- Izzo will assist Davis as he explores option of entering NBA Mar 22
- Michigan State's Valentine laments a game he'll never forget Mar 19
- No. 2 Michigan State becomes NCAA's early bracket-buster Mar 18
- Michigan State promises it won't overlook MTSU Mar 17
- Ex-basketball star Mateen Cleaves charged with sex assault Mar 15
- Deyonta Davis has shot to shine for 2nd-seeded Spartans Mar 15
- Michigan State's Tom Izzo may have a day beyond his dreams Mar 14
- Forbes has proven to be pivotal player for No. 2 Michigan St Mar 7
- Denzel Valentine draws comparisons to Michigan State greats Mar 4
- Michigan State's Kenny Goins out 2-4 weeks with knee injury Feb 16