No. 20 Michigan State gets by Bowling GreenDec 19, 2012 - 6:50 AM Bowling Green, OH (Sports Network) - Gary Harris and Denzel Valentine posted 12 points each as the No. 20 Michigan State Spartans used a late surge to overcome Bowling Green, 64-53, at Stroh Center.
Branden Dawson added 10 points with seven rebounds for the Spartans (10-2), who have won five in a row.
"When you walk a way with a win, I think you learn something going on the road," Michigan State coach Tom Izzo said. "They played with some passion and they were hungry."
Chauncey Orr recorded a game-high 16 points for the Falcons (5-5), who dropped their second game in the last six. Jordon Crawford contributed 10 points, seven assists and four rebounds in defeat.
"I thought offensively we were really good," Bowling green coach Louis Orr said. "It was great to see everybody playing with that kind of confidence."
Orr's triple pulled the Falcons into a 45-45 tie, but the Spartans gained separation for good thanks to a 14-2 run.
Valentine got the burst started with a jumper, then Harris finished off a three-point play. Alex Gauna hit a basket and Keith Appling sank two from the line before two free throws from Jehvon Clarke broke the streak. Dawson added a layup and slam, then Harris made 1-of-2 from the line to cap the surge with 4:12 remaining.
Bowling Green only reduced its deficit to eight before faltering down the stretch.
Cameron Black's layup capped a 10-5 run and gave the Falcons a 25-22 edge with just over six minutes left in the first half, but Michigan State finished on a 12-4 clip to take a five-point edge to the break.
Adreian Payne and Harris kicked off the burst with back-to-back slams, Valentine added a jumper, and Brandan Kearney finished it off with a short make.
Michigan State has won 11 of 14 meetings with Bowling Green ... The Spartans shot 48.1 percent from the floor, and held the Falcons to 32.8 percent efficiency from the field ... MSU's Derrick Nix pulled down a game-high eight rebounds, helping the visitors claim a slim 38-35 edge on the glass.
- MICHIGAN STATE: 64
BOWLING GREEN: 53
Dec 18 8:55 PM
- MICHIGAN STATE: 34
BOWLING GREEN: 29
Dec 18 7:51 PM
- MICHIGAN STATE: 0
BOWLING GREEN: 0
1st Half - 20:00
Dec 18 7:07 PM
- Michigan State's Deyonta Davis enters NBA draft after 1 year Apr 12
- Marvin Clark and Javon Bess plan to leave Michigan State Mar 28
- Izzo will assist Davis as he explores option of entering NBA Mar 22
- Michigan State's Valentine laments a game he'll never forget Mar 19
- No. 2 Michigan State becomes NCAA's early bracket-buster Mar 18
- Michigan State promises it won't overlook MTSU Mar 17
- Ex-basketball star Mateen Cleaves charged with sex assault Mar 15
- Deyonta Davis has shot to shine for 2nd-seeded Spartans Mar 15
- Michigan State's Tom Izzo may have a day beyond his dreams Mar 14
- Forbes has proven to be pivotal player for No. 2 Michigan St Mar 7
- Denzel Valentine draws comparisons to Michigan State greats Mar 4
- Michigan State's Kenny Goins out 2-4 weeks with knee injury Feb 16