Appling, No. 10 Michigan State down No. 22 WisconsinMar 8, 2013 - 6:56 AM Michigan State shut down No. 22 Wisconsin, 58-43, to keep its hopes of a Big Ten regular season title alive.
Michigan State had dropped three in a row coming in -- all to ranked opponents -- and was seemingly out of the conference title race.
But after Thursday's convincing win, which saw the Badgers shoot a pitiful 29 percent from the field, the Spartans (23-7, 12-5 Big Ten) can gain a share of the Big Ten crown on the final day of the regular season with a win over Northwestern and a Michigan victory over front-running Indiana on Saturday.
"It's my dream that this program is to the point where every year in the last week, week and a half, last two, three games, we still have a mathematical chance to win a championship," Michigan State head coach Tom Izzo said.
Gary Harris chipped in 11 points and Adreian Payne totaled nine points and 11 rebounds in the rout.
Wisconsin (20-9, 11-5) has dropped five straight against Michigan State and eight in a row in East Lansing. The Badgers were done in by lengthy scoring droughts in their lowest scoring output of the season, including a seven- minute stretch early in the second half that turned a five-point deficit into a devastating 21-point hole.
Ben Brust led the Badgers with 10 points, while Ryan Evans finished with nine points and 11 rebounds in the setback.
A typically slow-paced first half between these rivals ended with Travis Trice draining a 3-pointer to give the hosts a 25-18 lead.
Jared Berggren opened the second-half scoring with a jumper, but the Badgers missed their next 12 shots as Michigan State began pulling away.
"You just can't have those spells," Wisconsin head coach Bo Ryan said.
Appling highlighted the game-altering 16-0 flurry with a pair of three-point plays, the last pushing the margin to 41-20 with under 12 1/2 minutes to go.
The closest it got from there was the final score.
Trice recorded six of Michigan State's 16 steals ... The Spartans scored 23 points off 17 turnovers ... Michigan State improved to 16-1 at Breslin Center ... Wisconsin fell to 4-6 in true road games ... Wisconsin plays its final regular season game at Penn State on Saturday.
- WISCONSIN: 43
MICHIGAN STATE: 58
Mar 7 10:59 PM
- WISCONSIN: 18
MICHIGAN STATE: 25
Mar 7 9:54 PM
- WISCONSIN: 0
MICHIGAN STATE: 0
1st Half - 20:00
Mar 7 9:09 PM
- Wisconsin's Hayes to enter NBA draft, won't sign with agent Apr 20
- Lamont Paris promoted to associate head coach at Wisconsin Apr 12
- Michigan State's Deyonta Davis enters NBA draft after 1 year Apr 12
- Wisconsin's Nigel Hayes to get feedback on draft prospects Apr 5
- Former Badgers player Joe Krabbenhoft back as assistant Apr 4
- Longtime Wisconsin assistant Gary Close leaves Badgers Mar 30
- Marvin Clark and Javon Bess plan to leave Michigan State Mar 28
- Steadied under Greg Gard, Wisconsin can build on experience Mar 26
- Notre Dame advances to Elite 8 with 61-56 win over Badgers Mar 26
- Wisconsin's road to 3rd straight Final 4 runs through Irish Mar 25
- Stuck in slump, Wisconsin's Hayes contributes in other ways Mar 22
- Izzo will assist Davis as he explores option of entering NBA Mar 22