No. 14 Minnesota breezes past South Dakota StateDec 5, 2012 - 4:01 AM Minnesota Golden Gophers in an 88-64 rout of South Dakota State.
Austin Hollins compiled 17 points, five assists and four steals for Minnesota (9-1), which improved to 16-0 against South Dakota State.
"It can be discouraging when the other team keeps making 3-pointers and it's hard to come back from that, especially when you feel like you can't stop them," said Austin Hollins. "Andre did a great job in the first half and he gave us that energy boost that I think we all needed."
Joe Coleman contributed 15 points and seven rebounds in the Gophers' fifth straight win since a loss to Duke on Nov. 22 and the 499th of coach Tubby Smith's career.
Jordan Dykstra had 17 points to pace the Jackrabbits (6-3), who played without leading scorer Nate Wolters because of an ankle injury. Wolters is averaging a robust 20.8 points this season.
Tony Fiegen and Chad White posted 10 points apiece in the lopsided loss that snapped the Jackrabbits' winning streak at five games.
"I didn't care what the score was, I just didn't see us compete like I want us to compete," said South Dakota State coach Scott Nagy.
South Dakota State hung around in the early going, with Zach Horstman draining a 3-pointer to knot the score at 10-10. The Gophers put together a 10-0 run shortly thereafter and never looked back.
Minnesota wound up doubling the Jackrabbits in the first half, taking a 48-24 lead into the break.
The Gophers' advantage grew as high as 31 during the second half.
Minnesota shot 56.9 percent from the floor ... The Gophers have won 61-of-62 all-time matchups against Summit League teams ... Trevor Mbakwe posted eight points and 10 rebounds for Minnesota.
- SOUTH DAKOTA STATE: 64
Dec 4 9:47 PM
- SOUTH DAKOTA STATE: 24
Dec 4 8:47 PM
- SOUTH DAKOTA STATE: 0
1st Half - 20:00
Dec 4 8:05 PM
- Under-pressure Pitino: 'We've got to get this right' May 12
- Audit finds overspending on travel by Gophers' coach May 11
- Prosecutor delays charging decision against Minnesota player May 10
- Minnesota: Basketball player arrested on sex assault charge May 8
- Guard Akeem Springs joins Minnesota as graduate transfer Apr 19
- South Dakota St hires Otzelberger as men's basketball coach Apr 14
- Minnesota guard to transfer after sex video suspension Apr 4
- 3 Minnesota players suspended for video are reinstated Mar 29
- Jackrabbits seek 1st NCAA Tournament win Mar 17
- Despite dismal season, Pitino exudes optimism for future Mar 10
- South Dakota State men win Summit championship, 67-59 Mar 9
- Pitino to assess status of 3 suspended players after season Mar 8