No. 23 Minnesota, Williams topple NebraskaJan 30, 2013 - 5:00 AM Minneapolis, MN (Sports Network) - Rodney Williams scored 23 points and grabbed five rebounds to lead No. 23 Minnesota to an 84-65 win over Nebraska on Tuesday.
Andre Hollins scored 14 points and Austin Hollins added 13 for the Golden Gophers (16-5, 4-4 Big Ten), who snapped a four-game skid.
"We had a good game plan for tonight. We were able to make some shots early on and get in that press. I think that was a key to the game," said Minnesota coach Tubby Smith. "Obviously, Rodney Williams really coming out focused always kind of sets a good tone for our team, showing good leadership, not trying just to score, but in a lot of ways. He was very active and engaged."
Ray Gallegos poured in a career-high 30 points, Brandon Ubel scored 13 and Shavon Shields added 10 points for the Cornhuskers (11-11, 2-7), who have dropped seven of their last nine games.
"I thought we were not able to get any stops, so Minnesota was able to pick up their defense. We did not make shots. I felt like they were in control the whole time," said Nebraska coach Tim Miles The start of the game hurt us. "Early in the second half, we actually got good looks and just did not convert them."
Minnesota scored the first seven points of the game and led 24-15 at the midway point of the first half.
The Gopher's lead swelled to 38-25 with 3 1/2 minutes left, but Nebraska outscored Minnesota, 10-6, the rest of the way to make it a nine-point game, 44-35, at the break.
Shavon Shields' trey 2 1/2 minutes into the second half pulled the Cornhuskers within 48-40, but the Gophers responded with a 15-7 burst to push their spread to 63-47 with just over 11 minutes remaining.
Nebraska couldn't get closer than 12 the rest of the way.
Minnesota holds a 49-13 advantage in the all-time series ... The Gophers improved to 11-1 at home this season ... Minnesota forward Trevor Mbakwe, who was listed as questionable prior to the contest because of a bruised wrist, scored four points and grabbed eight rebounds ... Nebraska shot 54.5 percent (24-for-44) from the floor, but took 15 less shots than the Gophers ... Gallegos converted on 6-of-9 3-pointers.
- NEBRASKA: 65
Jan 29 10:50 PM
- NEBRASKA: 35
Jan 29 9:52 PM
- NEBRASKA: 0
1st Half - 20:00
Jan 29 9:07 PM
- Miami transfer, coveted 6-11 center sign with Cornhuskers May 17
- Under-pressure Pitino: 'We've got to get this right' May 12
- Audit finds overspending on travel by Gophers' coach May 11
- Prosecutor delays charging decision against Minnesota player May 10
- Minnesota: Basketball player arrested on sex assault charge May 8
- Butler assistant Michael Lewis joining Miles' Nebraska staff May 3
- Huskers' Andrew White declaring for draft but could return Apr 21
- Guard Akeem Springs joins Minnesota as graduate transfer Apr 19
- Nebraska assistant resigning to take same job at Boise St. Apr 12
- Minnesota guard to transfer after sex video suspension Apr 4
- 3 Minnesota players suspended for video are reinstated Mar 29
- Despite dismal season, Pitino exudes optimism for future Mar 10