McDermott, Bluejays drop CornhuskersDec 7, 2012 - 7:46 AM Creighton Bluejays routed the Nebraska Cornhuskers, 64-42, on Thursday at Bob Devaney Sports Center.
Gregory Echenique finished with 12 points on 4-of-7 from the floor to go with 12 rebounds, while Ethan Wragge added nine points off the bench for Creighton (8-1), which has won two straight since a loss to Boise State on Nov. 28. Grant Gibbs grabbed 10 rebounds in the victory.
"Nebraska did a good job taking us out of our offensive flow the first half. We got into the teeth of their defense the second half," Creighton head coach Greg McDermott said.
Dylan Talley scored a team-high 14 points, while Brandon Ubel contributed 10 points for the Cornhuskers (6-2), who had a brief two-game winning streak snapped.
"We wanted to come out and compete and make it a game to the last possession. It's still a learning process. We're trying to build our program to where we're on the other end of this outcome," Nebraska head coach Tim Miles said.
The game remained close early as the Bluejays led 10-8 with just over 12 minutes to go in the opening half. Creighton then pulled away a bit, using an 11-4 run to build a 21-12 advantage.
A jumper by Gibbs and a free throw from Echenique pushed the Creighton lead to 24-14 and the Bluejays led by a comfortable 28-17 margin at the half.
Creighton led by double digits for the duration of the second half, as a deep trey by Wragge with 10:26 left to play made it a 51-30 game.
Nebraska never got close the rest of the way.
Nebraska owns a 25-21 advantage in the all-time series between the teams, but the Bluejays have won 11 of the previous 14 regular-season contests ... Creighton won in Lincoln for the first time since Dec. 11, 2004 ... McDermott has scored 1,579 points in his college career, moving him past Benoit Benjamin for 10th place in school history ... Creighton improved to 7-5 in its last 12 true road openers ... The Bluejays shot 46 percent from the floor, while holding Nebraska to 32.1 percent.
- CREIGHTON: 64
Dec 6 9:49 PM
- CREIGHTON: 28
Dec 6 8:47 PM
- CREIGHTON: 0
1st Half - 20:00
Dec 6 8:03 PM
- Miami transfer, coveted 6-11 center sign with Cornhuskers May 17
- Creighton's Maurice Watson Jr. says he's returning to school May 6
- Butler assistant Michael Lewis joining Miles' Nebraska staff May 3
- Huskers' Andrew White declaring for draft but could return Apr 21
- Starter in 2014-15, Orange's Kaleb Joseph heads to Creighton Apr 18
- Nebraska assistant resigning to take same job at Boise St. Apr 12
- Nebraska, Kansas agree to meet in basketball next 2 seasons Mar 1
- Creighton's Maurice Watson continues to prove doubters wrong Feb 10
- Huskers' Shields hits head, will follow concussion protocol Feb 6
- Undersized, young Huskers will count on celebrated recruits Oct 27
- Nebraska at a glance Oct 27
- Creighton hoping transfers Watson, Huff can spark turnaround Oct 21