Thomas helps Buckeyes take down WildcatsFeb 15, 2013 - 3:22 AM Columbus, OH (Sports Network) - Deshaun Thomas recorded 22 points and seven rebounds to lead No. 13 Ohio State to a 69-59 win over Northwestern on Thursday.
Thomas shot just 6-for-17 from the field and didn't make any of his five 3- point attempts. However, he was 10-for-12 from the free throw line for the Buckeyes (18-6, 8-4 Big Ten), who snapped a two-game losing streak. Lenzelle Smith Jr. had 12 points and six rebounds, while Amir Williams registered 10 points and eight rebounds.
"I give a lot of credit to Northwestern," said Ohio State head coach Thad Matta. "They made shots that were difficult and in the first half we weren't challenging baskets, which we paid for."
Tre Demps scored 16 points for the Wildcats (13-12, 4-8), who have lost two straight and four of their past five games. Kale Abrahamson and Reggie Hearn scored 13 and 12 points, respectively.
"We didn't really know what to expect coming through the door, but I'm really proud of the way the guys compete," said Northwestern head coach Bill Carmody. "They played hard and executed what we had in mind. You don't want to lose but I thought that they really did a nice job."
Down 48-43 with 8:51 left to play, Thomas threw down a monster dunk, the first of nine points he would score over the next three minutes.
Down 51-49 with 5:51 remaining in regulation, Shannon Scott fired a three- pointer to give the Buckeyes a 52-51 edge.
Abrahamson then fired a three-point play to take back the lead, 54-52. Thomas responded back with a three-point play of his own.
With the score tied, 57-57, a Thomas jumped started a 10-0 run for the Buckeyes. Sam Thompson made two consecutive dunks to cap off the swing and the Buckeyes put the game out of reach, 67-57, with 32 seconds left.
Northwestern had a strong start offensively. After Ohio State scored the first four points of the game, the Wildcats went on a 10-0 run to give them a 10-4 advantage.
At the 7:25 mark, Northwestern's lead was 22-16. However, a 7-0 run by the Buckeyes gave them a one-point lead with 4:34 remaining.
A dunk by Williams extended the lead to three late in the half, but Demps made a 3-pointer with one second to go and tied the game at 30-30 at halftime.
Ohio State is 112-45 all-time against Northwestern, including 66-14 at home ... The last time Northwestern beat Ohio State on the road was on Feb. 24, 1977.
- NORTHWESTERN: 59
OHIO STATE: 69
Feb 14 9:01 PM
- NORTHWESTERN: 30
OHIO STATE: 30
Feb 14 7:52 PM
- NORTHWESTERN: 0
OHIO STATE: 0
1st Half - 20:00
Feb 14 7:06 PM
- 3 freshman leave Ohio State basketball team Mar 30
- Ohio State F Jae'Sean Tate headed for season-ending surgery Feb 23
- Ohio State, Nike agree on $252M sponsorship extension Jan 15
- Saint Bonaventure beats Ohio 81-68 Dec 5
- Northwestern F Vic Law to miss season with shoulder injury Nov 11
- Ohio State Preview Capsule Oct 27
- 'Lots of unknowns' for Ohio State team full of young players Oct 27
- Northwestern looks to make jump in Collins' third season Oct 27
- Northwestern at a glance Oct 27
- Northwestern rewards Collins with extension May 26
- Ohio State's Russell says he's going pro Apr 22
- McConnell guides Arizona past Russell, Ohio State Mar 21