Thompson and Thomas help Buckeyes down BulldogsDec 15, 2012 - 8:48 PM Columbus, OH (Sports Network) - Sam Thompson scored 18 points and Deshaun Thomas added 17 points and 10 rebounds to lead No. 7 Ohio State to a 90-72 win over UNC-Asheville.
Lenzelle Smith netted 16 points on 7-of-10 shooting and Evan Ravenel donated 12 points and seven boards for the Buckeyes (8-1), winners in four straight. Aaron Craft had six points and eight assists in the win.
"We wanted to score in transition more to have a greater push in the game. I think the spacing is getting better with our team, and we're getting the ball to the open man a lot better," said Ohio State coach That Matta.
Keith Hornsby poured in a game-high 26 points after going 6-for-8 from behind the arc and Will Weeks added 14 points and six rebounds for the Bulldogs (3-7), who had a two-game winning streak snapped.
"This was a great game for our team and it was at a good time for us to come up here and play Ohio State. We look to build our team the entire year and these tough games are a part of what our team does every year," said UNC- Asheville coach Eddie Biedenbach. "We hope to be good enough each year in our conference to get to the NCAA (Tournament) and when we do, we play teams like this."
Hornsby's 3-ball pulled Asheville within 25-19 at the midway point of the first half, but a 19-11 push gave Ohio State a 44-30 lead with just over three minutes to go.
The teams traded blows the rest of the way and OSU led 50-35 at the break.
The Buckeyes used an 18-5 run over the first 5 1/2 minutes of the second half to go up 68-40. The Bulldogs wouldn't get closer than 18 the rest of the way as Ohio State cruised to the easy win.
OSU shot 59 percent from the floor for the game and forced 17 turnovers.
The Buckeyes have outscored their opponents 334-215 on their four-game winning streak ... Jeremy Atkinson had 11 points for the Bulldogs.
- UNC-ASHEVILLE: 72
OHIO STATE: 90
Dec 15 2:01 PM
- UNC-ASHEVILLE: 35
OHIO STATE: 50
Dec 15 12:52 PM
- UNC-ASHEVILLE: 0
OHIO STATE: 0
1st Half - 20:00
Dec 15 12:07 PM
- 3 freshman leave Ohio State basketball team Mar 30
- Ohio State F Jae'Sean Tate headed for season-ending surgery Feb 23
- Ohio State, Nike agree on $252M sponsorship extension Jan 15
- Saint Bonaventure beats Ohio 81-68 Dec 5
- Ohio State Preview Capsule Oct 27
- 'Lots of unknowns' for Ohio State team full of young players Oct 27
- Ohio State's Russell says he's going pro Apr 22
- McConnell guides Arizona past Russell, Ohio State Mar 21
- Ohio State and Arizona square off in West Regional action Mar 21
- Russell leads Buckeyes over VCU Mar 19
- Rams butt heads with Buckeyes in West Region Mar 19
- Kaminsky, Wisconsin crush Ohio State Mar 9