Thomas leads Ohio State past WisconsinJan 30, 2013 - 3:23 AM
Thomas tallied 25 points in the 11th-ranked Buckeyes' 58-49 win over Wisconsin.
He scored 10 points during Ohio State's game-changing 15-0 surge in the second half.
"I think his growth would rank at the top," Ohio State head coach Thad Matta said of Thomas. "I think he was offensively efficient and he was high on his shot."
Aaron Craft had 13 points and seven rebounds for the Buckeyes (16-4, 6-2 Big Ten), who have won 64 straight home games against unranked opponents.
Traevon Jackson, the son of legendary Ohio State player and two-time Big Ten Player of the Year Jimmy Jackson, netted 12 points to lead Wisconsin (14-7, 5-3), which has dropped three of its last four contests on the heels of a seven-game winning streak.
The Badgers were 11-of-28 from beyond the arc, but did not attempt a single free throw.
"We've done it to other teams and we've had other games where we took only one or two, but Ohio State played well defensively," Wisconsin head coach Bo Ryan said of his team not attempting a foul shot.
Sam Dekker's layup gave Wisconsin a 41-37 lead with 13:03 left, but Ohio State clamped down defensively and went on its 15-0 run as the Badgers failed to record a point over the next 7:08. Thomas capped the swing with a jumper to make it 52-41.
Back-to-back 3-pointers by Ben Brust and Jared Berggren pulled the Badgers within 52-47 with 4:22 left, but Jackson's turnover on Wisconsin's next touch led to a Shannon Scott three-point play and the visitors never got any closer.
Wisconsin opened up a 24-17 advantage in the opening half before the Buckeyes closed the stanza on a 7-2 spurt to pull within 26-24 heading into the break.
Berggren finished with 11 points and nine boards ... Ohio State was 9-of-12 from the foul line and shot 51.1 percent (23-of-45) from the field ... The Buckeyes turned the ball over 10 times, while Wisconsin committed nine giveaways.
- WISCONSIN: 49
OHIO STATE: 58
Jan 29 8:51 PM
- WISCONSIN: 26
OHIO STATE: 24
Jan 29 7:49 PM
- WISCONSIN: 0
OHIO STATE: 0
1st Half - 20:00
Jan 29 7:06 PM
- Wisconsin's Hayes to enter NBA draft, won't sign with agent Apr 20
- Lamont Paris promoted to associate head coach at Wisconsin Apr 12
- Wisconsin's Nigel Hayes to get feedback on draft prospects Apr 5
- Former Badgers player Joe Krabbenhoft back as assistant Apr 4
- 3 freshman leave Ohio State basketball team Mar 30
- Longtime Wisconsin assistant Gary Close leaves Badgers Mar 30
- Steadied under Greg Gard, Wisconsin can build on experience Mar 26
- Notre Dame advances to Elite 8 with 61-56 win over Badgers Mar 26
- Wisconsin's road to 3rd straight Final 4 runs through Irish Mar 25
- Stuck in slump, Wisconsin's Hayes contributes in other ways Mar 22
- Badgers, Musketeers preparing for physical NCAA clash Mar 19
- New-look Badgers back in NCAA Tournament against Pittsburgh Mar 17