Cooley helps Notre Dame cruise past PurdueDec 16, 2012 - 5:50 AM Purdue in the Crossroads Classic.
Eric Atkins tallied 17 points, seven assists and three steals, while Pat Connaughton added 16 points for the Fighting Irish (9-1), who have won seven games in a row since dropping an overtime decision to Saint Joseph's on Nov. 16.
"I thought that was very business-like by us today. We are an older team, and I thought it was men kind of playing like men," Notre Dame coach Mike Brey said.
Rapheal Davis netted a game-high 21 points for Purdue (4-6), which has dropped two consecutive contests and three of its last four.
"He had a great game," Purdue coach Matt Painter said of Davis. "He's always been known as a scorer. He's improving in other areas. That definitely was a pleasant surprise for us."
The Irish turned an eight-point halftime lead into a 22-point advantage midway through the final 20 minutes.
Notre Dame began the stanza on an 18-4 run, which was capped when Garrick Sherman split a pair from the foul line for a 57-35 Notre Dame edge. Connaughton had seven points during the surge.
Purdue never cut the deficit below nine the rest of the way.
The Irish led by as many as 11 in the opening half before taking a 39-31 cushion into the break.
Sherman finished with 11 points ... Ronnie Johnson recorded 15 points, while D.J. Byrd added 13 for Purdue ... The Irish shot 57.1 percent (16-of-28) in the first half and 49.1 percent (26-of-53) for the game.
- NOTRE DAME: 81
Dec 15 7:04 PM
- NOTRE DAME: 39
Dec 15 5:50 PM
- NOTRE DAME: 0
1st Half - 20:00
Dec 15 5:06 PM
- Former Michigan guard formally joins Purdue program May 17
- Beachem says he'll be back at Notre Dame for senior season May 1
- Notre Dame's Beachem enters NBA draft, won't hire an agent Apr 12
- Purdue's Edwards declares for NBA draft without agent Apr 5
- Purdue's Kendall Stephens plans to explore transferring Mar 31
- Jackson: Meeting with Brey, NCAA play led him to opt for NBA Mar 30
- Notre Dame's Jackson decides to enter NBA draft Mar 29
- Brey: Notre Dame's Jackson has to explore entering NBA draft Mar 28
- Notre Dame can't find one last run to beat North Carolina Mar 28
- North Carolina and Notre Dame know each other well Mar 26
- Wisconsin's road to 3rd straight Final 4 runs through Irish Mar 25
- Notre Dame finally finding March success under Brey Mar 23