Byrd leads Boilermakers in victory over WisconsinMar 3, 2013 - 10:30 PM Purdue used a dominating second half to take a 69-56 victory over No. 17 Wisconsin on Sunday.
Terone Johnson added 16 points and seven rebounds while Ronnie Johnson had eight points, eight assists and five rebounds for the Boilermakers (14-15, 7-9 Big Ten), who had lost four of five coming into the contest. Sandi Marcius gave 10 points in the win.
"I thought we did a lot of little things," said Purdue head coach Matt Painter. "For us, this game was huge, not just because we won at Wisconsin, which is almost impossible to do, but it was how we did it."
Jared Berggren scored 13 points and eight rebounds while Ryan Evans added 10 points and seven boards for the Badgers (20-9, 11-5), who had a three-game winning streak snapped.
"We've had games like this before where we've found ways to come out on the winning side when shots aren't dropping for us," said Berggren. "You'd like to be able to rely on your defense on nights like that when your shots aren't dropping. Today we couldn't do that."
Purdue trailed by nine points early in the second half, but surged ahead with a 16-4 run that saw Byrd drain two 3-pointers and Terone Johnson cap the surge with a layup for a 47-44 lead just over seven minutes in.
After an Evans free throw, Terone Johnson hit a jumper, Byrd drained another 3-pointer and Ronnie Johnson followed with a jumper for a 54-45 lead with under 10 minutes to play.
Wisconsin cut the deficit to four with five straight points, but Terone Johnson hit another jumper and Byrd added his fourth 3-ball of the frame to regain a nine-point advantage.
That proved to be the backbreaker as Wisconsin failed to get within seven points the rest of the way.
A 13-2 run by the Badgers in the latter stages of the first half saw the team take a 29-17 advantage after consecutive jumpers from Evans, but Purdue scored the final seven points of the half to cut its deficit to 36-31 after 20 minutes.
Purdue hosts Michigan on Wednesday ... Wisconsin plays at Michigan State on Thursday ... Purdue shot 45.6 percent and grabbed 39 rebounds, compared to 40 percent shooting and 27 rebounds by Wisconsin ... Purdue leads the series, 105-65.
- PURDUE: 69
Mar 3 2:55 PM
- PURDUE: 31
Mar 3 1:42 PM
- PURDUE: 0
1st Half - 20:00
Mar 3 1:03 PM
- Former Michigan guard formally joins Purdue program May 17
- Wisconsin's Hayes to enter NBA draft, won't sign with agent Apr 20
- Lamont Paris promoted to associate head coach at Wisconsin Apr 12
- Wisconsin's Nigel Hayes to get feedback on draft prospects Apr 5
- Purdue's Edwards declares for NBA draft without agent Apr 5
- Former Badgers player Joe Krabbenhoft back as assistant Apr 4
- Purdue's Kendall Stephens plans to explore transferring Mar 31
- Longtime Wisconsin assistant Gary Close leaves Badgers Mar 30
- Steadied under Greg Gard, Wisconsin can build on experience Mar 26
- Notre Dame advances to Elite 8 with 61-56 win over Badgers Mar 26
- Wisconsin's road to 3rd straight Final 4 runs through Irish Mar 25
- Boilermakers forward Caleb Swanigan plans to test NBA draft Mar 22