Creighton downs Wisconsin to reach Vegas Invitational finalNov 24, 2012 - 7:34 AM Creighton advanced to the finals of the Las Vegas Invitational with an 84-74 victory over Wisconsin at the Orleans Arena.
Ethan Wragge donated 17 points and Austin Chatman netted 14 for the Bluejays (5-0), who will next play Arizona State in the championship round on Saturday.
"We let Doug go to work," Creighton coach Greg McDermott said of his son. "He made really good decisions. He took what the defense gave him. His pace was better offensively tonight."
Jared Berggren carried the Badgers (3-2) with 27 points, while Ryan Evans and George Marshall added 15 and 13 points, respectively, in defeat.
"I was feeling good," Berggren said. "We were scoring with them, but we still weren't doing a great job of getting stops."
The Badgers, known for their defense, held Creighton to a respectable 38 percent shooting in the opening 20 minutes, but only led 39-38 at the break.
The Bluejays caught fire midway through the second half, starting with a Wragge 3-pointer that resulted in a 61-60 lead with just under eight minutes to play.
The bucket started a string on nine straight possessions in which Creighton came away with points, and the 20-6 run gave the Bluejays a 78-66 lead.
Wragge hit another triple during the six-minute stretch, and the Bluejays made 10 straight free throws in the final 3:05 to come away victorious.
Creighton went 3-0 against Big Ten teams last season ... The Bluejays outscored the Badgers at the foul line, 22-12 ... Creighton shot 62 percent from the field in the second half ... Wisconsin won the only other meeting between these two teams back in 1949.
- CREIGHTON: 84
Nov 24 12:13 AM
- CREIGHTON: 38
Nov 23 10:51 PM
- CREIGHTON: 0
1st Half - 20:00
Nov 23 10:06 PM
- Creighton's Maurice Watson Jr. says he's returning to school May 6
- Wisconsin's Hayes to enter NBA draft, won't sign with agent Apr 20
- Starter in 2014-15, Orange's Kaleb Joseph heads to Creighton Apr 18
- Lamont Paris promoted to associate head coach at Wisconsin Apr 12
- Wisconsin's Nigel Hayes to get feedback on draft prospects Apr 5
- Former Badgers player Joe Krabbenhoft back as assistant Apr 4
- Longtime Wisconsin assistant Gary Close leaves Badgers Mar 30
- Steadied under Greg Gard, Wisconsin can build on experience Mar 26
- Notre Dame advances to Elite 8 with 61-56 win over Badgers Mar 26
- Wisconsin's road to 3rd straight Final 4 runs through Irish Mar 25
- Stuck in slump, Wisconsin's Hayes contributes in other ways Mar 22
- Badgers, Musketeers preparing for physical NCAA clash Mar 19