No. 25 Kansas State holds off UMKCDec 30, 2012 - 4:57 AM Manhattan, KS (Sports Network) - No. 25 Kansas State had another woeful shooting display, but the defense once again did its part.
Rodney McGruder had 17 points, five rebounds and four steals in the Wildcats' 52-44 win over UMKC.
Thomas Gipson tallied 13 points and six boards, while Nino Williams added eight points and 13 rebounds for Kansas State (10-2), which shot just 32.1 percent (17-of-53) from the floor, its sixth time this season it has failed to reach the 40 percent clip.
The Wildcats' defense, though, held the Kangaroos to 33.3 percent (16-of-48) from the field. Kansas State's defense had allowed the opposition to shoot just 39.1 percent heading in.
"Sometimes you have to win different ways," Kansas State coach Bruce Weber said, "and we won with defense tonight."
Thomas Staton netted 13 points off the bench to lead UMKC (4-9).
The Wildcats never trailed in the second half but never led by more than double digits.
Williams' jumper gave Kansas State a 47-38 lead with 1:41 left and UMKC never cut the deficit below six the rest of the way.
"We were in a position to beat a top-25 team at their place," Kansas City coach Matt Brown said. "I don't think they respected our team. I don't think they respected our program."
Kansas State stormed out of the gate and led 7-0 before McGruder's 3-pointer a little more than four minutes in gave the Wildcats a 12-3 cushion. Kansas State's margin reached 11, but UMKC closed the opening half on a 12-5 spurt to pull within 25-21 heading into the break.
Kansas State has won all 10 home tilts and 16 of 17 overall in the series against UMKC ... UMKC turned the ball over 18 times, while the Wildcats gave the ball away 11 times.
- MISSOURI-KANSAS CITY: 44
KANSAS STATE: 52
Dec 29 9:11 PM
- MISSOURI-KANSAS CITY: 21
KANSAS STATE: 25
Dec 29 7:56 PM
- MISSOURI-KANSAS CITY: 0
KANSAS STATE: 0
1st Half - 20:00
Dec 29 7:10 PM
- Kansas State freshman Freeman transferring to Florida juco Apr 12
- New-look Wildcats have same lofty expectations this season Oct 28
- Kansas State at a glance Oct 28
- K-State's Foster dismissed from basketball program Mar 24
- Iwundu, Kansas State upset No. 12 Iowa State Mar 1
- Wildcats play host to 12th-ranked Cyclones Feb 28
- K-State AD offers apology after court storming Feb 24
- K-State topples No. 8 Kansas Feb 24
- Sunflower State showdown pits Jayhawks against Wildcats Feb 23
- Baylor pulls away from Kansas State Feb 21
- Kansas State comes calling on No. 20 Baylor Feb 21
- K-State tops OU to snap 5-game losing skid Feb 15