McGruder leads K-State past Texas TechFeb 6, 2013 - 7:25 AM Lubbock, TX (Sports Network) - Rodney McGruder had 18 points and nine rebounds in No. 13 Kansas State's 68-59 win over Texas Tech.
Angel Rodriguez added 13 points for the Wildcats (18-4, 7-2 Big 12), who have won three consecutive games on the heels of a two-game skid.
"We won, I don't think it was pretty but, it is better than a loss," Wildcats head coach Bruce Weber said.
Jordan Tolbert netted 19 points to lead Texas Tech (9-11, 2-7), which has dropped three straight and seven of its last eight contests.
"I thought we did a great job at defending them, but when they had to make plays down the stretch they made plays," Texas Tech head coach Chris Walker said.
Josh Gray's layup got the Red Raiders within 42-38 early in the second half before the Wildcats countered with an 11-2 run to seize control of the contest.
Martavious Irving knocked down a jumper and 3-pointer during the spurt, which was capped on McGruder's jumper for a 53-40 K-State advantage with 11:16 to go.
Texas Tech never came closer than six the rest of the way.
Earlier, the Wildcats opened up a 26-13 spread just past the midway point of the first half before taking a 37-29 cushion into the break.
McGruder finished 6-of-11 from the floor and 5-of-7 from the charity stripe ... Thomas Gipson tallied 12 points off the bench for the Wildcats ... Dejan Kravic had 12 points for the Red Raiders.
- KANSAS STATE: 68
TEXAS TECH: 59
Feb 5 10:03 PM
- KANSAS STATE: 37
TEXAS TECH: 29
Feb 5 8:54 PM
- KANSAS STATE: 0
TEXAS TECH: 0
1st Half - 20:00
Feb 5 8:06 PM
- Chris Beard bolted UNLV to come 'home' to Texas Tech Apr 16
- Coach Chris Beard spurns UNLV for Texas Tech Apr 15
- Kansas State freshman Freeman transferring to Florida juco Apr 12
- Smith leads 5th school to NCAAs as Texas Tech faces Butler Mar 16
- New-look Wildcats have same lofty expectations this season Oct 28
- Kansas State at a glance Oct 28
- Texas Tech at a glance Oct 28
- Texas Tech aims for turnaround after 2 losing seasons Oct 28
- K-State's Foster dismissed from basketball program Mar 24
- Baylor rallies past Texas Tech Mar 7
- Texas Tech and Baylor meet in regular-season finale Mar 6
- Iwundu, Kansas State upset No. 12 Iowa State Mar 1