McGruder, Rodriguez help Kansas State edge TexasFeb 24, 2013 - 6:03 AM Austin, TX (Sports Network) - Rodney McGruder had 20 points and six rebounds in No. 13 Kansas State's 81-69 win over Texas.
Angel Rodriguez added 16 points and six assists for the Wildcats (22-5, 11-3 Big 12), who have won three straight since falling at Kansas on Feb. 11.
"It was a good win for our guys," Kansas State coach Bruce Weber said. "I tried to explain that you have to be yourself and take care of business, take care of what you can control and that is the enthusiasm, and effort on a day like this."
Myck Kabongo netted 24 points to lead Texas (12-15, 4-10), which came into the contest winners in two of its last three after a 2-8 stretch.
"If I were Myck, I would be upset," Texas coach Rick Barnes said. "He came back playing as hard as he can. The post players were huge in terms of our scouting and our game plan. They didn't rebound and we knew that was important."
Kansas State led comfortably throughout the first half and took a 40-32 cushion into the break, but blew the game open over the final 20 minutes.
The Wildcats began the second period on an 8-2 swing. Jordan Henriquez hit a pair of jumpers, including the one to cap it off and make it 48-34 a little less than four minutes into the stanza.
Texas never got within single digits the rest of the way and the margin reached its apex at 17 down the stretch.
Shane Southwell finished with 11 points, six assists and six boards for K- State ... The Wildcats were 9-of-18 from beyond the arc and made 20-of-22 free-throw attempts.
- KANSAS STATE: 81
Feb 23 10:10 PM
- KANSAS STATE: 40
Feb 23 8:57 PM
- KANSAS STATE: 0
1st Half - 20:00
Feb 23 8:03 PM
- Texas guard Isaiah Taylor skipping senior year for NBA Apr 21
- Kansas State freshman Freeman transferring to Florida juco Apr 12
- Jesperson's halfcourt shot puts Northern Iowa past Texas Mar 19
- First-year Texas coach Smart no longer the underdog Mar 17
- Texas hoping Shaka Smart can spark tournament success Mar 16
- Texas' Ridley closer to return, status for Big 12 unclear Mar 7
- Texas Western returns to scene of '66 NCAA win over Kentucky Feb 13
- Texas lurking near top of Big 12 as 'havoc' takes hold Feb 12
- UTEP honors Texas Western's historic title 50 years later Feb 6
- Texas Western celebrating historic title 50 years later Feb 4
- Texas says no evidence of academic misconduct Jan 13
- Longhorns: Swingman Jordan Barnett asks to transfer Jan 12