No. 23 Oklahoma State handles Missouri StateDec 9, 2012 - 12:36 AM Stillwater, OK (Sports Network) - Markel Brown dropped in a game-high 15 points to lead No. 23 Oklahoma State to a 62-42 win over Missouri State on Saturday.
Mike Cobbins had 10 points and eight rebounds while Le'Bryan Nash added 10 points for the Cowboys (7-1), who have won two straight following an 81-71 loss to Virginia Tech on Dec. 1.
"That was a Missouri State team that has played some real tough games, they're really good defensively," Oklahoma State head coach Travis Ford said. "They did some things today defensively and offensively that we really haven't seen all year long that we've had to guard against and run our offense against. I couldn't ask for better defense in the first half, it was great, the rebounding was great."
Christian Kirk had eight points and seven rebounds and Anthony Downing added eight points and six boards for the Bears (2-7), who have dropped five straight.
"Oklahoma State has a very good team. They're talented, and the played like it," said Missouri State coach Paul Lusk.
Oklahoma State opened the game on a 14-2 run capped by Phil Forte's 3-pointer. Missouri State cut it to 23-13 with 4:16 left, but failed to score the rest of the way and went into the break trailing, 34-13.
The Bears scored the first 10 points of the second half to cut the deficit to 34-23, but a 19-8 Oklahoma State sequence put the Cowboys ahead 53-31 with just over eight minutes left.
Gavin Thurman's jumper with 2:30 to go pulled Missouri State within 60-42, but couldn't get another basket the rest of the way and Oklahoma State improved to 8-0 all-time against the Bears.
The Cowboys are 4-0 at home this season ... Both teams shot poorly from 3- point range with Oklahoma State going 4-for-23 from behind the arc and Missouri State converting on just 3-of-18 attempts from downtown ... The Bears were outrebounded 45-22.
- Oklahoma Stare adds Gentry to basketball coaching staff May 11
- Oklahoma State introduces new coach Underwood Mar 23
- Oklahoma St. hires SFA's Brad Underwood as men's hoops coach Mar 22
- Oklahoma State to 'part ways' with basketball coach Ford Mar 18
- Oklahoma State coach Ford ejected from son's game Dec 11
- Oklahoma State G Forte out with arm injury vs George Mason Nov 20
- Oklahoma State at a glance Oct 28
- Oklahoma State G Evans has star potential Oct 28
- Young advances Oregon past Oklahoma State Mar 20
- Pokes and Ducks duke it out in NCAA Tournament action Mar 20
- No. 15 Oklahoma holds off Oklahoma State Mar 13
- Cowboys and Sooners square off in Big 12 Tournament Mar 12