Porter helps Hoyas pound LonghornsDec 5, 2012 - 6:48 AM
Nate Lubick had 13 points and Markel Starks added 11 for the Hoyas (6-1), who have won three in a row since losing in overtime to No. 1 Indiana on Nov. 20.
"I'm happy to walk away with a win," Georgetown coach John Thompson III said. "We have an honest group of guys and they know we have a lot of room for improvement."
Sheldon McClellan scored Texas' first seven points and finished with 12.
Cameron Ridley supplied 11 points for the Longhorns (5-3), who were held to 29.2 percent shooting and committed 22 turnovers.
"I am really disappointed in the lack of will and that we did not continue to fight," Texas head coach Rick Barnes said. "If you understand the will to win then you won't make the same mistakes over-and-over again."
Texas entered the game leading the NCAA in field-goal percentage defense at 30.7. Georgetown shot 41 percent from the floor.
The Hoyas were coming off an inept shooting display in Friday's ugly 37-36 win over Tennessee. They nearly matched the output from their previous game in the first half against Texas.
Georgetown led by as many as 17 and settled for a 30-17 lead at the break.
McClellan drained a 3-pointer to draw the Longhorns to within 32-24 four minutes into the second half. Texas, though, would go 9 1/2 minutes without a field goal, a cold spell that doomed its chances of completing a comeback.
The Hoyas' lead grew to 20 at 47-27 on a D'Vauntes Smith-Rivera free throw with about nine minutes remaining, and they still owned a sizeable advantage when Ridley's dunk snapped the Texas drought with 6:31 left.
In their first seven games this season, the Longhorns hadn't allowed any opponent to shoot better than 36.8 percent ... Jonathan Holmes had 10 rebounds for Texas ... Smith-Rivera posted seven points and six boards.
- Texas guard Isaiah Taylor skipping senior year for NBA Apr 21
- Jesperson's halfcourt shot puts Northern Iowa past Texas Mar 19
- First-year Texas coach Smart no longer the underdog Mar 17
- Texas hoping Shaka Smart can spark tournament success Mar 16
- Texas' Ridley closer to return, status for Big 12 unclear Mar 7
- Texas Western returns to scene of '66 NCAA win over Kentucky Feb 13
- Texas lurking near top of Big 12 as 'havoc' takes hold Feb 12
- UTEP honors Texas Western's historic title 50 years later Feb 6
- Texas Western celebrating historic title 50 years later Feb 4
- Texas says no evidence of academic misconduct Jan 13
- Longhorns: Swingman Jordan Barnett asks to transfer Jan 12
- Georgetown already has 5 losses entering Big East play Dec 30