Notre Dame handles CincinnatiFeb 25, 2013 - 2:59 AM South Bend, IN (Sports Network) - Jerian Grant scored 13 points to help No. 25 Notre Dame to a 62-41 win over Cincinnati on Sunday.
Tom Knight had 12 points and seven rebounds, while Jack Cooley added 11 points and eight boards for the Fighting Irish (22-6, 10-5 Big East), who have won their past two games. Eric Atkins had 11 points and six assists in the win.
"I am very pleased and excited about our defensive and rebounding identity," said Notre Dame head coach Mike Brey. "We have done a great job for two games in a row. I think we did a great job of staying in front of people that wanted to beat us off of the dribble."
JaQuon Parker had 12 points and was the only player in double-digits for the Bearcats (19-9, 7-8), who have dropped their past three games.
"We got beat, beat real bad," said Parker. "We made a nice little run in the second half, but we started giving up threes. And then they just changed the whole thing, which negated all our hard work."
Notre Dame never trailed in the contest and an early 8-0 run gave the team a 14-4 lead after Cameron Biedscheid put in a layup about nine minutes in.
Thanks to holding Cincinnati to just 7-for-25 shooting, while making 12-of-24 attempts of their own, the Irish took a 29-15 lead into the halftime break.
Atkins hit a basket and a 3-pointer for the first points of the second half.
Cincinnati briefly got its deficit to within single digits after Shaquille Thomas made a jumper for a 39-30 game with 10 1/2 minutes to play, but Cooley followed with a 3-point play and Grant hit a pair of free throws to make it a 44-30 game with 9 1/2 minutes left.
The Bearcats never got closer than 12 points the rest of the way.
Notre Dame made 46.8 percent of its shots while holding Cincinnati to just 31.5 percent ... The Irish dominated the boards, 43-27 ... Notre Dame plays at Marquette next Saturday ... The Irish lead the series, 10-4.
- CINCINNATI: 41
NOTRE DAME: 62
Feb 24 4:03 PM
- CINCINNATI: 15
NOTRE DAME: 29
Feb 24 2:50 PM
- CINCINNATI: 0
NOTRE DAME: 0
1st Half - 20:00
Feb 24 2:06 PM
- Beachem says he'll be back at Notre Dame for senior season May 1
- Notre Dame's Beachem enters NBA draft, won't hire an agent Apr 12
- Jackson: Meeting with Brey, NCAA play led him to opt for NBA Mar 30
- Notre Dame's Jackson decides to enter NBA draft Mar 29
- Brey: Notre Dame's Jackson has to explore entering NBA draft Mar 28
- Notre Dame can't find one last run to beat North Carolina Mar 28
- North Carolina and Notre Dame know each other well Mar 26
- Wisconsin's road to 3rd straight Final 4 runs through Irish Mar 25
- Cincinnati says Mick Cronin is staying after talks with UNLV Mar 25
- Notre Dame finally finding March success under Brey Mar 23
- ND's Auguste at best in March, shooting 86 percent in NCAAs Mar 22
- A late dunk, a last-second 3 add to Cincinnati's heartbreak Mar 21