Whittington, Georgetown down Western CarolinaDec 16, 2012 - 1:37 AM Georgetown Hoyas posted an 81-68 victory over the Western Carolina Catamounts.
Jabril Trawick had 14 points and Otto Porter added 12 with nine boards for the Hoyas (9-1), who have won their last 42 games against non-conference opponents at the Verizon Center.
"Yes it was nice to have a good game and score a lot, but I still need to work hard everyday," Whittington said. "We stepped it up defensively and limited them to tough shots and got tougher on the rebounds."
Tom Tankelewicz hit six 3-pointers and finished with a personal-best 24 points for Western Carolina (4-7), which has dropped three of its last four games.
"He can really shoot it and he does some other things well too, but he's really our X factor," Western Carolina coach Larry Hunter said about Tankelewicz. " I think every team needs a guy that can light you up a little bit."
The Catamounts jumped out to a 13-6 lead four minutes into the game, but the Hoyas rallied and a Trawick trey put them up 18-15 with 10:13 remaining.
A D'Vauntes Smith-Rivera free throw gave Georgetown its first double-digit lead late in the first half, and the Hoyas wound up taking a 42-30 advantage into the break.
The lead swelled to 59-38 when Whittington drained a 3-pointer, and Markel Starks converted a layup to make it 66-40 with 11:24 to play.
Western Carolina continued to battle in its first meeting with the Hoyas, but was unable to get within single digits.
Georgetown improved to 9-2 against teams from the Southern Conference ... Western Carolina is now 0-38 all-time against Top 25 teams ... The Hoyas held a 23-9 edge in made free throws ... Western Carolina was 11-of-22 from 3-point range ... Trey Sumler had 11 points for the Catamounts.
- WESTERN CAROLINA: 68
Dec 15 1:56 PM
- WESTERN CAROLINA: 30
Dec 15 12:54 PM
- WESTERN CAROLINA: 0
1st Half - 20:00
Dec 15 12:04 PM
- Georgetown already has 5 losses entering Big East play Dec 30
- Georgetown Capsule Nov 4
- With Smith-Rivera back, Georgetown eyes better NCAA showing Nov 4
- Georgetown G Smith-Rivera to enter NBA Draft Mar 31
- Utah tops Georgetown, makes 1st Sweet 16 in 10 years Mar 21
- Utes and Hoyas meet in third round of NCAA Tournament Mar 21
- Georgetown topples Eastern Washington to advance Mar 20
- Hoyas set sights on Eagles in South Regional action Mar 19
- Xavier holds off Georgetown to reach Big East finals Mar 14
- Xavier and Georgetown do battle in Big East tourney Mar 13
- Georgetown fends off Creighton in Big East quarters Mar 13
- Big East tourney action pits Bluejays against Hoyas Mar 12