Woodall helps Pitt top No. 19 GeorgetownJan 9, 2013 - 7:07 AM Pittsburgh to a 73-45 win over 19th-ranked Georgetown on Tuesday.
Talib Zanna added 15 points and J.J. Moore dropped in nine for the Panthers (13-3, 1-2 Big East), who snapped a two-game skid.
Otto Porter Jr. dropped in a team-high nine points and Nate Lubick scored seven points and pulled down seven boards for the Hoyas (10-3, 0-2), who have dropped back-to-back games.
"Today was very disappointing," Georgetown coach John Thompson III admitted. "We have some things we need to address and know we need to address and that will be addressed. I know this isn't who we are, but tonight it's very disappointing."
Pitt raced out to a 17-6 lead early in the first, but Georgetown was able to cut the spread to 17-10 a bit later.
The Panthers led 28-17 with just under four minutes left in the first and closed the half on a 9-5 run to go up 37-22 at the break.
A Durand Johnson trey at the 12:56 mark stretched the Panthers' lead to 47-28. The Hoyas responded with a 6-0 burst, but Pitt countered with a 13-3 run to go up 60-37 with just over six minutes remaining.
Georgetown couldn't get closer than 21 the rest of the way.
Pitt shot 55.1 percent (27-for-49) from the floor and went 62.5 (5-for-8) percent from long range, while holding the Hoyas to 35.1 percent (13-for-37) shooting from the floor and a dismal 16.7 (2-for-12) percent from the floor.
"I just thought we made some shots and got some bounces early," Pittsburgh coach Jamie Dixon remarked. "I think our confidence got going and we just stayed with it."
Pitt outscored Georgetown, 32-16, in the pain ... The Panthers forced 17 turnovers ... Pitt will host Marquette on Saturday ... Georgetown will travel to St. John's on Saturday ... The Hoyas have failed to record 50 points in four games this season.
- PITTSBURGH: 73
Jan 8 11:08 PM
- PITTSBURGH: 37
Jan 8 9:54 PM
- PITTSBURGH: 0
1st Half - 20:00
Jan 8 9:06 PM
- Stallings ready for new challenge at Pittsburgh Mar 28
- Pittsburgh hires Kevin Stallings to replace Jamie Dixon Mar 28
- Dixon's departure leaves Panthers at crossroads Mar 22
- New-look Badgers back in NCAA Tournament against Pittsburgh Mar 17
- Pitt hoping to play itself off the bubble at ACC tourney Mar 7
- Pitt senior guard Robinson hoping to end career on high note Feb 27
- Struggling Pittsburgh searching for consistency Feb 19
- Georgetown already has 5 losses entering Big East play Dec 30
- Young, Jeter lead Pitt past St. Joseph's (Ind), 84-43 Nov 17
- Buffalo rolls over Div. III Pitt-Bradford 109-49 Nov 14
- Pitt faces stiff test in opener against No. 9 Gonzaga Nov 12
- Georgetown Capsule Nov 4