Streaking Hoyas get by slumping RutgersFeb 10, 2013 - 8:09 AM Piscataway, NJ (Sports Network) - Markel Starks had 20 points, Otto Porter scored 19 with 14 rebounds and the 20th-ranked Georgetown Hoyas came away with a 69-63 win over the Rutgers Scarlet Knights.
Mikael Hopkins supplied a career-high 14 points for the Hoyas (17-4, 7-3 Big East), who are riding a five-game winning streak.
"Otto Porter is Otto Porter. I thought he was terrific, I always think he's terrific," Georgetown coach John Thompson III said. "He made a couple plays and he came through and got two big rebounds when we needed him, but that's what he does."
Eli Carter was the lone Scarlet Knight to score in double-figures, finishing with 23 points.
Rutgers (12-10, 3-8) has lost six straight.
"We had passion and played for each other today. But when you lose, it takes the joy away from your everyday experience," Rutgers coach Mike Rice said.
The Scarlet Knights were down as many as seven points in the first half before battling back for a 33-33 deadlock at halftime. They fell behind by six early in the second half, but a Mike Poole layup put the home team up 46-44 with 13:19 left.
The jostling continued and the clubs were even at 60-60 with just under five minutes to play. A Porter layup put the Hoyas back in front before both teams went three minutes without scoring.
Rutgers' Wally Judge snapped the drought with a free throw with 1:40 left. Porter was then fouled on a layup and sank the subsequent free throw to make it 65-61 with 1:15 remaining.
After a Carter basket, Porter restored a four-point lead at the foul line. Carter then missed consecutive shots before Hopkins sealed the win at the charity stripe.
The Hoyas have won 11 of the last 12 meetings ... Rutgers grabbed 17 offensive rebounds but finished with only 10 second chance points ... The game featured 14 lead changes.
- GEORGETOWN: 69
Feb 9 2:07 PM
- GEORGETOWN: 33
Feb 9 12:51 PM
- GEORGETOWN: 0
1st Half - 20:00
Feb 9 12:05 PM
- Rutgers raises $50 million in 4 months for athletics May 10
- Brandin Knight joins Rutgers basketball coaching staff Apr 18
- Rutgers confirms that Hobbs has joined Pikiell's staff Apr 14
- Jay Young hired as assistant basketball coach at Rutgers Apr 11
- Karl Hobbs leaves UConn to join Pikiell's staff at Rutgers Mar 31
- Stony Brook's Steve Pikiell is new Rutgers basketball coach Mar 22
- AP source: Stony Brook's Steve Pikiell is new Rutgers coach Mar 19
- Jordan fired as Rutgers basketball coach Mar 10
- Rutgers on verge of winless Big 10 Conference season Mar 3
- Rutgers suspends freshman Corey Sanders Feb 15
- Georgetown already has 5 losses entering Big East play Dec 30
- Georgetown Capsule Nov 4