Louisville has easy time with College of CharlestonDec 5, 2012 - 7:19 AM Louisville routed College of Charleston, 80-38, in a non-conference battle.
Russ Smith totaled 13 points, four assists and four steals for the Cardinals (7-1), who shook off a close victory against Illinois State and recorded their fifth double-digit victory of the season.
"It's the best we've looked this year on defense," Louisville coach Rick Pitino said. "We worked on it all week."
Adjehi Baru notched 16 points and a game-high 14 rebounds but committed six turnovers for the Cougars (5-3), whose four-game win streak came to an end.
"Their length and strength is pretty impressive," Cougars coach Doug Wojcik said of the Cardinals. "It was a tough night for us. We never put them on their heels."
Louisville was in control throughout, scoring the game's first six points and rolling out to a 12-3 lead roughly 6 1/2 minutes in.
Blackshear's triple pushed the advantage to double digits for the first time at 17-7, and two from the line by Peyton Siva made it 28-9 with 4:42 left in the first half.
It was 36-16 for the visitors at intermission despite an 11-for-29 performance from the field.
The Cardinals weren't pressed at all in the second half, slowly increasing their lead throughout.
A Kevin Ware jumper cracked the 30-point barrier at 65-34 with 6:40 to play, then a Zach Price bucket provided a 41-point bulge at 77-36 with 2 1/2 minutes left.
Louisville has won all three meetings ... Siva finished with 12 points, five steals and three assists ... Charleston's Willis Hall committed a game-high seven of his school's 27 turnovers, and was also held scoreless in 19 minutes of action.
- LOUISVILLE: 80
COLLEGE OF CHARLESTON: 38
Dec 4 10:53 PM
- LOUISVILLE: 36
COLLEGE OF CHARLESTON: 16
Dec 4 9:53 PM
- LOUISVILLE: 0
COLLEGE OF CHARLESTON: 0
1st Half - 20:00
Dec 4 9:06 PM
- Louisville sophomore Onuaku to undergo heart procedure May 17
- Louisville students' lawsuit against escort is dismissed May 3
- Louisville announces more sanctions for men's basketball Apr 6
- Pitino elevates Johnson to Louisville associate head coach Mar 15
- Cardinals' Pitino says he saw nothing 'unusual' at dormitory Mar 15
- Pitino: Will use offseason to decide future with Louisville Mar 1
- Transfers Lewis, Lee relish time spent at No. 11 Louisville Feb 29
- Louisville's Mahmoud out for final 6 games with ankle injury Feb 15
- Pitino: Mathiang won't return this season after foot injury Feb 12
- Louisville's Pitino awaits NCAA interview about sex scandal Feb 9
- Louisville's Pitino: Fine schools, coaches for violations Feb 6
- Louisville men's basketball team coping with postseason ban Feb 6