No.4 Cardinals skate past Friars in Big East openerJan 3, 2013 - 7:15 AM Louisville, KY (Sports Network) - Russ Smith netted 23 points and No. 4 Louisville downed Providence, 80-62, in the Big East opener for both teams.
Gorgui Dieng supplied 11 points, 11 rebounds and four blocks for the Cardinals (13-1, 1-0 Big East), who were coming off a home win against Kentucky on Saturday.
"We're continuing to win with offense, protecting the ball and not turning it over and scoring the ball well," Louisville head coach Rick Pitino said. "Our defense is nowhere near where we want it to be. I think our guys realize that and they will continue to work on it."
Luke Hancock provided 11 points, eight boards and three steals in the triumph.
"I think our team just played the best team in the country. I've scouted every game that they have played this year and they have a lot of different answers, a lot of experience," Friars head coach Ed Cooley said of the Cardinals.
Kadeem Batts and Bryce Cotton tallied 17 and 16 points, respectively, for Providence (8-5, 0-1), which has dropped three consecutive games.
Batts' jumper pulled the Friars within 53-47 with 13:22 left in the game, but Louisville countered with an 18-2 run to put the contest away. Hancock made a pair of triples, while Montrezl Harrell closed the surge with back-to-back buckets for a 71-49 advantage with 7:06 remaining.
It was a sluggish start for the hosts.
Providence stormed out of the gate and jumped out to a 13-3 lead after Vincent council nailed a 3-pointer a little less than four minutes in.
But the Cardinals woke up and outscored the Friars, 34-18, over the rest of the half. Chane Behanan and Dieng had eight points apiece during the stretch as Louisville headed into the break with a 37-31 lead.
The Cardinals shot 52.6 percent (30-of-57) from the floor and 38.9 percent (7- of-18) from beyond the arc ... Providence turned the ball over 16 times, while Louisville committed just eight giveaways.
- PROVIDENCE: 62
Jan 2 8:00 PM
- PROVIDENCE: 31
Jan 2 6:51 PM
- PROVIDENCE: 0
1st Half - 20:00
Jan 2 6:05 PM
- Louisville sophomore Onuaku to undergo heart procedure May 17
- Louisville students' lawsuit against escort is dismissed May 3
- Louisville announces more sanctions for men's basketball Apr 6
- Cooley hopes to be at Providence 'for life' with extension Mar 30
- Providence's Bentil declares for NBA draft, won't hire agent Mar 23
- Friars relying on Dunn-Bentil duo vs. top-seeded Tar Heels Mar 18
- NCAA wins scarce lately for Providence, Southern Cal Mar 16
- Pitino elevates Johnson to Louisville associate head coach Mar 15
- Cardinals' Pitino says he saw nothing 'unusual' at dormitory Mar 15
- Pitino: Will use offseason to decide future with Louisville Mar 1
- Transfers Lewis, Lee relish time spent at No. 11 Louisville Feb 29
- Louisville's Mahmoud out for final 6 games with ankle injury Feb 15