Louisville cruises past St. John'sFeb 15, 2013 - 6:37 AM Louisville, KY (Sports Network) - Russ Smith scored 21 of his 24 points in the second half, helping the 12th-ranked Louisville Cardinals bounce back from losing the longest game in school history with a 72-58 win over the St. John's Red Storm.
Smith added six rebounds, four assists and three steals for the Cardinals (20-5, 8-4 Big East), who played for the first time since Saturday's five- overtime setback to Notre Dame.
"I thought he gave us a spurt we needed," Louisville head coach Rick Pitino said of Smith.
Gorgui Dieng contributed a double-double of 10 points with a career-high 17 rebounds.
The Red Storm (15-10, 7-6) were paced by the tandem of Phil Greene IV and D'Angelo Harrison. Greene scored 21 points and Harrison, who became the 48th St. John's player in history to reach 1,000 career points, had 18.
St. John's head coach Steve Lavin missed a second straight game following the passing of his father over the weekend.
Down nine after 20 minutes, the Red Storm opened the second half on a 10-0 burst. Louisville answered with a surge of its own and led 44-35 after Smith sank two free throws.
A Montrezl Harrell layup stretched the lead to 52-39 with 9:06 remaining.
St. John's trailed by double-digits the rest of the way.
"I thought our guys played hard. I thought they played hard for Coach (Steve) Lavin and his family. We will go back to the drawing board and hopefully we will get coach (Lavin) back here soon," St. John's assistant coach Rico Hines said.
The Cardinals went on an 11-0 run after Harrison opened the game's scoring with a 3-pointer. St. John's fought back and took a 19-16 lead when Amir Garrett hit a free throw to complete a three-point play.
Louisville, though, scored the final eight points of the frame and carried a 32-23 advantage into the break.
The Cardinals won 20 games for the 11th consecutive season ... Peyton Siva had 12 points and six assists for Louisville ... The Cardinals improved to 7-0 at home in the series with St. John's.
- ST. JOHN'S: 58
Feb 14 11:05 PM
- ST. JOHN'S: 23
Feb 14 9:50 PM
- ST. JOHN'S: 0
1st Half - 20:00
Feb 14 9:07 PM
- Louisville sophomore Onuaku to undergo heart procedure May 17
- Louisville students' lawsuit against escort is dismissed May 3
- Louisville announces more sanctions for men's basketball Apr 6
- Pitino elevates Johnson to Louisville associate head coach Mar 15
- Cardinals' Pitino says he saw nothing 'unusual' at dormitory Mar 15
- Pitino: Will use offseason to decide future with Louisville Mar 1
- Transfers Lewis, Lee relish time spent at No. 11 Louisville Feb 29
- Louisville's Mahmoud out for final 6 games with ankle injury Feb 15
- Pitino: Mathiang won't return this season after foot injury Feb 12
- Louisville's Pitino awaits NCAA interview about sex scandal Feb 9
- Louisville's Pitino: Fine schools, coaches for violations Feb 6
- Louisville men's basketball team coping with postseason ban Feb 6