Louisville cruises past South FloridaFeb 17, 2013 - 8:28 PM Louisville to a 59-41 win over South Florida on Sunday.
Chane Behanan and Wayne Blackshear added 12 points apiece for the Cardinals (21-5, 9-4 Big East), who have won five of their last six games.
On Friday, Louisville head coach Rick Pitino was named one of 12 finalists for consideration for induction in the 2013 Naismith Basketball Hall of Fame class. During his 27-year career Pitino has earned 648 wins, reached the NCAA Tournament 17 times and collected one NCAA Championship while leading Kentucky in 1996.
Jawanza Poland scored 11 points while Toarlyn Fitzpatrick and JaVontae Hawkins finished with nine points apiece for the Bulls (10-15, 1-12), who have dropped eight straight.
The Bulls led 11-8 early in the first half. Kevin Ware canned a 3-pointer to ignite a 22-3 run to put the Cardinals up 30-14.
USF, though, closed the half on a 10-2 swing to pull the hosts within 32-24 entering the break.
The Bulls were able to trim the deficit to 36-30 with 13 minutes left, but Louisville exploded for a 19-3 surge to take a 55-33 lead with just over six minutes remaining.
USF never got closer than 16 the rest of the way.
Louisville holds a 27-4 lead in the all-time series ... The Cardinals have recorded at least 10 steals in 19 of 26 games this season ... Louisville held USF to a dismal 24.5 percent (13-for-53) shooting from the field ... The Cardinals dominated USF inside, outscoring the Bulls in the paint, 32-14 ... USF allowed 23 points off 16 turnovers.
- LOUISVILLE: 59
SOUTH FLORIDA: 41
Feb 17 2:57 PM
- LOUISVILLE: 32
SOUTH FLORIDA: 24
Feb 17 1:47 PM
- LOUISVILLE: 0
SOUTH FLORIDA: 0
1st Half - 20:00
Feb 17 1:04 PM
- Louisville sophomore Onuaku to undergo heart procedure May 17
- Louisville students' lawsuit against escort is dismissed May 3
- Louisville announces more sanctions for men's basketball Apr 6
- Pitino elevates Johnson to Louisville associate head coach Mar 15
- Cardinals' Pitino says he saw nothing 'unusual' at dormitory Mar 15
- Pitino: Will use offseason to decide future with Louisville Mar 1
- Transfers Lewis, Lee relish time spent at No. 11 Louisville Feb 29
- Louisville's Mahmoud out for final 6 games with ankle injury Feb 15
- Pitino: Mathiang won't return this season after foot injury Feb 12
- Louisville's Pitino awaits NCAA interview about sex scandal Feb 9
- Louisville's Pitino: Fine schools, coaches for violations Feb 6
- Louisville men's basketball team coping with postseason ban Feb 6