Blue leads No. 25 Marquette past South FloridaJan 29, 2013 - 7:35 AM Marquette Golden Eagles took down the South Florida Bulls, 63-50, in a Big East bout at the Bradley Center.
Blue shot 13-of-20 from the field for Marquette (15-4, 6-1 Big East), which extended its home winning streak to 21 games and is now tied atop the Big East standings with Syracuse. Trent Lockett added 10 points and eight rebounds for the Golden Eagles, while Junior Cadougan handed out six assists.
"I know what I can do," Blue said of his breakout game. "I've been playing basketball for a long time. I've played against the best competition pretty much my whole life. I just knew my time was coming."
JaVontae Hawkins scored 14 points to lead USF (10-10, 1-7), which has lost three straight a seven of eight. Victor Rudd chipped in 13 points and four steals, while Zach LeDay tallied 10 points and seven rebounds.
"We were missing a lot of shots and not shooting well," South Florida coach Stan Heath said. "The counter of that was they got too many transition baskets and out hustled us down the floor. And Blue really took advantage of that."
Marquette led the game 10-3 less than four minutes in, but USF responded with a 17-7 run to take a 20-17 lead on a LeDay 3-pointer at the 7:25 mark. The Golden Eagles closed out the half on a high note however, and they went into intermission with a 28-24 advantage.
Blue took control after the break with 21 of his 30 points, as the Golden Eagles led by double-digits for most of the second half.
Marquette shot 55.1 percent from the field but just 2-of-15 from 3-point range ... USF made only 15-of-55 attempts from the field (.273) ... The Golden Eagles dominated the Bulls in the paint, 38-14 ... Marquette has won 18 of the 21 all-time meetings between the two programs.
- SOUTH FLORIDA: 50
Jan 28 10:59 PM
- SOUTH FLORIDA: 24
Jan 28 9:47 PM
- SOUTH FLORIDA: 0
1st Half - 20:00
Jan 28 9:06 PM
- Marquette guard Wally Ellenson leaving basketball team Apr 21
- Marquette freshman Henry Ellenson declares for NBA draft Apr 5
- Marquette's Ellenson day to day with sprained left ankle Mar 2
- Marquette, freshman star Henry Ellenson, wrap up at home Feb 29
- Led by freshman Ellenson, young Marquette seeks Feb. push Feb 10
- Snow sacks Marquette-St. John's basketball game Jan 23
- After road upset, young Marquette looks to improve at home Jan 8
- Wojciechowski gets 2-year extension at Marquette to 2022 Dec 29
- Fresh faces get in on Marquette-Wisconsin rivalry Dec 11
- Calipari, No. 1 Kentucky to meet former assistant Antigua Nov 26
- Wojo readies Ellenson, touted Marquette freshmen for opener Nov 11
- Oh Henry: Ellenson highlights Marquette's big freshman class Nov 3